Extending my display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JamesOK, May 10, 2012.

1. JamesOK macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the Apple World. I wanted to extend my Macbook Pro display to a second monitor. I know the Thunderbolt display has this capability, but i was wondering if an iMAC does as well? If I am going to shelve out $1000 for a Thunderbolt display, I may as well but a low end iMAC. Thoughts?

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

all imacs, mac mini, macbook pro, and mac pro all can extended the screens u just have to have the mini display port to vga/ dvi adapter for none apple displays but with a thunderbold display just hook the screen up to the imac and ur fine

3. JamesOK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That's great news. Not sure the purpose of a Thunderbolt display is then besides a larger monitor. I'll go with a low end iMAC. I'll lose a few inches on my display, but will be getting more for my buck.

4. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

well the thing is it has a thunderbolt port on it so you have 3 screens on the base imac the imacs screen then 2 other thunderbolt displays and if you want put them at then of the line and u can have thunderbolt accessories when they arrive

5. McGilli macrumors 6502

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you asking if you can use an iMac as a display? I don't think the current models are capable of that.

7. flipshot macrumors 6502a

They are, but only if you are connecting to it from another Mac with Thunderbolt. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Cool, thanks.

OP, I guess it would be good to keep in mind that the iMac will need to be on even if you're just using it as a display. Also, you'd have to buy a Thunderbolt cable, they run about $50.