Extending my wireless network... [help]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThePimento, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ThePimento macrumors member

ThePimento

I live in an apartment complex and I've got a few friends that live around 300ft from me. I'm wanting to extend my wireless network (currently a Time Capsule) so I can share my media with them (TV shows, movies, and music).

What would be the easiest way to do this? I was looking at range extenders (mainly from Hawking), but I couldn't get a definite answer on how much these would extend my network.

If any of you have any experience or ideas with this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

How many walls in between you guys? I don't think you can do much with a Time Capsule. I'd go for Linksys with an external antenna on your window. $250

3. ThePimento thread starter macrumors member

ThePimento

There's one building in between us, so maybe 3 walls at best.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

300 ft is approximately 100 meters, which is pushing the limits of most omnidirectional WiFi antennas, even on "range extenders".

I'd recommend getting a kit with a directional antenna or parabolic reflector. This will allow you to "aim" the signal toward your friends and exclude areas not in the direct path. It'll also help get through those extra walls a little bit. Your friends can help the situation by getting an external directional antenna facing back toward you.

+1 on ntrigue's window placement recommendation.