Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
I use a linksys wireless router the 54g one, sorry i cant rem exactly what it is.. but its donwstairs and im upstairs, and sometimes my imac and xbox both lose their signals,, if i brought that airport express and plugged it in between would it strenghten the signal?

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
StokeLee said:
I use a linksys wireless router the 54g one, sorry i cant rem exactly what it is.. but its donwstairs and im upstairs, and sometimes my imac and xbox both lose their signals,, if i brought that airport express and plugged it in between would it strenghten the signal?

According to apple from http://www.apple.com/airportexpress, you'll see the following note when they talk about using the airport express as a network bridge:

"AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network."

Seeing as Apple says this, it might be prudent to avoid it as your bridge...but what Apple says doesn't always prove to be true...however, I'd wait until you hear from someone who has actually done this successfully before buying it and trying it yourself.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
as i have stated twice before.

Is the microwave on when you loose your connection?

That is what kills my connection when the router is right below me one floor down

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
eva01 said:
as i have stated twice before.

Is the microwave on when you loose your connection?

That is what kills my connection when the router is right below me one floor down

The microwave can/will hurt your wireless signal. But...If its destroying a otherwise strong signal, you may want to get your microwave checked out. It could have a leak.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
StokeLee said:

Assuming you mean the WRT54G, check out sveasoft.. They have 3rd party firmware that can boost wireless power by up to 900%. It costs $20, or you can find free versions at other sites.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
a question from me

i currently have an Airport Express
can I link it up with this wireless gateway so that the wireless network range can be extended?

can I wirelessly bridge these 2 together to create a single network or must I only use RJ45 cable to link them up?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Zoowatch said:
a question from me

i currently have an Airport Express
can I link it up with this wireless gateway so that the wireless network range can be extended?

can I wirelessly bridge these 2 together to create a single network or must I only use RJ45 cable to link them up?

Airport express only works with apple branded and buffalo network equipment regarding WDS (Wireless Distribution System) support.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
superbovine said:
Airport express only works with apple branded and buffalo network equipment regarding WDS (Wireless Distribution System) support.

Thats what they say, but is that really true or do they not want to have phone support for it? If it follows the standards, it should work with any router (assuming the other router follows all standards too).

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Yes, you can.

You can use the WRT54G with Airport Express. I've seen posts on here about that. You will need to use a third-party firmware to enable WDS, I'm afraid I can't help you find that as I dont know where to look!

If you dont need wireless printing/Air Tunes, Linksys sell the WRE54G which is a wireless expander for the Linksys router. I just bought one of these off eBay for £37, which is less than half the price of an Airport Express, and doesnt need third-party firmware to run it.

I'd be wary of the firmware which can increase the gain of the router, as it probably wears out the components in the router much quicker. Similar to the stress you put on a computer when you overclock.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
pulsewidth947 said:
I'd be wary of the firmware which can increase the gain of the router, as it probably wears out the components in the router much quicker. Similar to the stress you put on a computer when you overclock.
Exactly. The firmware from sveasoft or any other vendor might make your wireless connection stronger, but it is definitely at the cost of the life of your wireless router. The components would just get fried faster. There's a good enough reason why the manufacturer has limited the output power of the signal. Moreover, it's not good for one's health to have very strong wireless signals going through the house (in some cases it's unavoidable, but it's better to avoid it as much as possible).

I would suggest changing the wireless channel setting on the router to see if it makes any difference - you might have interference from your microwave, cordless phones and probably other wireless devices in your house or the houses around yours. Although it might take some time to figure out which channel is best, I think it's worth the effort. Also try changing the location of the physical wireless router - "line of sight" with the receiver is best, preferably several feet away from the microwave, cordless etc.

If all these do not help, get an extender. Or get a different router (like the SRX series from Linksys).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.