Extending network outdoors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lowercaseperson, Nov 2, 2014.

1. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

Hi all - I'll try and make this short.

My home network is based off an Airport extreme and two Airport expresses which extend the network to second floor and basement. Works fine.

I want to extend the network down to our beach access (read no power available), but have absolutely no idea how to boost the signal down there. I've looked at antenna's (which I've used before with little to no effect) and recently I've looked at "access points", but as I read it they are more for receiving a signal than boosting a signal? The distance is ~150 yards. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would need to look at an outdoor access point that you can mount somewhere using PoE (Power Over Ethernet).

3. eduardrw, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. lowercaseperson thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniF...d=1414978617&sr=1-2&keywords=ubiquiti+outdoor

This might make me look very uneducated. But this is an outdoor access point that comes with a PoE adapter. So I would mount this down at the beach, and it would extend the range and power itself?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. A POE device can be run one of two ways, with an injector or off a POE compliant switch. If you have an injector, you would run a data line from your regular router or switch into one end of the injector, and one end into a standard outlet. An injector looks something like this: [​IMG] Then the Ethernet that comes out of the injector will be powered for a certain distance (usually 100m). The other possibility is to run it off of a POE compliant switch, but that is a waste of money unless you have many POE compliant devices.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

op, do u want/could run an ethernet cable out there?

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

You could grab a small solar panel for $50 and plug a repeater into it. Put it in a small covered box to protect it from the elements.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

By the time you get the solar panel and all rigged up, it would of been easier to run a single Ethernet link. Plus, dealing with repeaters outdoors is a iffy game.

9. lowercaseperson thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose I could run an ethernet cable - but I would still have the power issue to deal with right?

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would need to use the POE injector inside of the building you run it from.

11. rgarjr, Nov 2, 2014

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Nothing to rig except plugging your repeater into the outlet. Personally its a lot more work to run a cable out there then to spend $50 on a panel and plug it in.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So if it isn't sunny for a few days you lose power? Also, why use a wireless repeater when you can get full bandwidth via Ethernet?

14. rgarjr, Nov 2, 2014

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

15. eduardrw, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

eduardrw macrumors 6502

You can put the outdoor access point on your house pointing towards the beach if that is enough.
    If not, run an outdoor ethernet cable to a post where you can mount the access point.
    The PoE adapter allows you to run power over your ethernet cable. So the only cable running to this access point is ethernet.
    The one you are showing uses omnidirectional antennas (360 degrees) the more expensive AC outdoor one uses a directional antenna - means it directs the energy to where you want it = longer range.
    This is industry standard professional equipment made for outdoors and used all over the world. Stay away from bandaid hacks like the ones suggested above, unless you need another "hobby".

----------

Ubiquity PoE is known to be non standard - so POE compliant switch won't work unless you pick the right one (from ubiquity)!

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The standard UAP Outdoor uses Ubiquiti's POE solution. This means you must use an injector, an adapter for a regular POE switch, or a ToughSwitch. The more expensive outdoor APs are 802.1af compliant and do not need any adapters.

17. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Lets not confuse the OP just for the sake of adding another comment.
    The devices the OP is interested in, need the Ubiquity PoE injector they are shipped with.
    And he surely does not need a PoE capable switch for his application.

I am aware of the finer details.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is some very bold print.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

So with these Unifi Outdoor Access Points, are u able to connect (link them) with the Apple Express, or does it create separate WiFi hotspot?

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you mean physically via Ethernet or over wireless? If over Ethernet, they will act like any regular access point.

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Over PoE Ethernet. I'm assuming u won't be able to configure it using airport utility or won't show up in there. It would just be a different hotspot with another SSID than your existing home network.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can have it use the same network name (SSID). Configuration would be done from the UniFi controller rather than the AirPort Utility.

23. lowercaseperson thread starter macrumors 6502

It's only 150 yards max and mostly open topography. I would hope maybe I could just mount one on the side of the house and point towards the beach. Could you recommend a unit?

24. eduardrw macrumors 6502

If it is line of sight - no obstacles - you could go with the UAP-Outdoor+ which is ~ $180. (2.4GHz - 802.11n)
    If budget is no obstacle the UAP-AC Outdoor (2.4 + 5GHz 802.11ac) at ~ $400 is the best choice.

If you decide to go with Ubiquity - read about configuring them at
    their WEB site. This is a much more powerful device than an Airport Extreme with many more features.

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I also agree with eduardrw as the standard outdoor AP is 5 GHz only and the range subsequently is shorter.