extending network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by graham8z, Jan 15, 2012.

1. graham8z macrumors newbie

I live in an old house with thick walls i have an airport extreme as my base and two airport express's to extend the network to difficult areas. My problem is that at the rear of the house the network keeps dropping out and sometimes disappears altogether. I have swapped the expresses around no difference.When I use airport utility it says they are all connected and working fine. Any suggestions I have three phase electricity so difficult to use an extender through wall plugs.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. graham8z thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean connect express to the extreme my cable ? Unable to do this as to far away. Thanks for help anyway.

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Get some HomePlugs (Devolo are a good brand) & run your network over your power cabling (yes, really). Some of the plugs even come with WiFi, so you effectively get a wired connection to a point (over your power cabling) then a WiFi hotspot at that point.

I've been using HomePlug for a few years now with no problems at all ...

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

There's really nothing you can do if you can't extend it using Cat5e (ethernet) and neither can you extend it wirelessly.

Have you explored the idea of Powerline?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Guys stop with the home plug recommendations. He has three phase power in his home. Home plugs will not work on this!

7. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Well in that case, he's screwed. He can't use ethernet, can't user powerline and his walls are too thick for Wi-Fi.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well really he's not he just needs to position his expresses correctly ;)

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Thinking about it op u could count your fuses and figure out where around the house u could use them.

If your fuse box has the fuses going up the way then from the bottom left or right it would be..

1,4,7,10 etc on phase 1
    2,5,8,11 etc on phase 2
    3,6,9,12 on phase 3

If the fuses run horizontal then start on the side closest to the main fuse.

If there is a cluster of sockets that suits your needs all on one phase then your in luck.

10. graham8z thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help have repositioned the extreme with some success and changed wiring to 5e seems to be working better, Cheers