Extending Non-Apple WIFI Network with Airport

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dwfaust, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I am trying to help my son-in-law setup his home network. He is using CenturyLink DSL, and has been given a Zytel C1000Z modem/router combination.

So far, I have not been able to find any documentation or manual on this device, so I am not sure if I can turn off the WIFI function of that router and just connect an Airport device directly to the modem as I do with my Cox cable setup.

That leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have a link to the doc for the Zytel device? Can the WIFI function be turned off?
    2. If the WIFI cannot be turned off, can I still use the Airport device in bridge mode to extend the WIFI coverage in his 2-story home?
    I know connecting Airport devices to each other to extend the network and provide "wall-to-wall" coverage is quite easy, but not sure how to manage this with these all-in-one modem/router devices.

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

3. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

If you meant ZyXEL c1000z, the only place I've found with the possibility of getting a manual is at Century Link. It requires a ZIP code to get one, so I didn't do it. Look on the left side of the page at the heading "Downloads" -> "Internet Manual" -> (new window) enter ZIP code.
    http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-c1000z.html

4. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Thanks... solved the issue by logging into the admin function and turning off the built in wifi router...