Extending (not replacing) my iTunes library on an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by streetco, Dec 5, 2010.

1. streetco macrumors newbie

Help! So, I have more media than internal hd space and I want to extend my iTunes library with my external hd. I have a Macbook Pro so I want a good chunk of my library on my internal drive so I can take it with me. When I am set up at home, however, I want to be able to extend my iTunes library with an external drive, particularly so I can access all of my media from my apple tv. Therefore, I need to make it so iTunes pulls from my internal and external libraries simultaneously. Is this possible? If not, does anyone have alternative suggestions? Thanks so much.

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

In iTunes Preferences, uncheck 'Copy files to library' and 'keep my library organised', and just copy files to the external drive before you add them to iTunes.

3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I was about to ask the same question... ive been able to move only 2 movies into itunes, both ar .mp4 movies but it wont accept any .avi movies... and when i switch them to .mp4 movies they dont transfer over... any way around this?

4. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

They need to be converted into iTunes compatible video files by a program such as Handbrake.

5. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I was so confused! thanks!