Extending Range - Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JeffNewland, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JeffNewland macrumors member

Hey everyone, I am wanting to extend my home network to reach a pool in the backyard. I have a Time Capsule and two Airport Express' now. I was able to extend the first one but the second one doesn't seem to add any range when connecting. Am I supposed to be extending the second AE off of the other or extending off the Time Capsule?

Thanks!

2. arnoz macrumors regular

Hi,

Don't see this as thread hijacking but I have the exact same question and set-up. So I comment here as we both might receive the help needed :)

As for me: it's an old farm in a "U" shape. At the bottom of the "U" is a Airport Extreme. At the both sides of the "U" there is an Airport Express extending the network from the Extreme. However on one side the range is too short. Can I add another Express to extend the range of the previous Express?
    Thanks.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Attempting to extend an already extended network is not possible to do so wirelessly. You will need to connect both AirPort Express devices via ethernet to achieve this.

4. arnoz macrumors regular

Then I don't understand how my actual network is showing up like this

Attached Files:

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

AExp-Donjon is set up to extend the network AExt-Kitchen has created. AExp-Mam is simply joining the extended network. If you want to extend it further connect AExp-Mam to AExp-Donjon via ethernet, not wireless.

I have a similar setup in my house so I can use AirTunes in my bedroom, that is one AirPort Express to wirelessly extend the network and another that wirelessly joins the network where my sound system is.

6. JeffNewland thread starter macrumors member

@BreakGuy
    Am I able to simple plug ethernet from TC to the 1st AE then extend the 2nd AE off of that?

7. OCICILIONI macrumors member

re: extending network range

I agree with previous posts. I works best to have several wireless base stations at various locations around the house that are connected by hard wire, rather than trying to piggy back one airport express to another wirelessly.

Attached Files:

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Not sure as I haven't tried this method before. Apple have extensive readings on Wi-Fi and extending networks.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145