Extending the partition without backup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shinonome, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Shinonome macrumors newbie

So recently, I found myself needing more space on my Windows Partition, and after reading the guide posted here, I decided to use Paragon Camptune or whatever it was called. However, it suggests in the guide that I backup often, which is something I can't really do, due to the fact that I lack any data storage options that can support all the files on my system. So my question is, is it OK to not backup my Bootcamp partition before extending it, without messing anything up severely?

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

This is sort of a stupid question, no offense. If you value the data, you back it up. Growing the file system has nothing to do with backing up. Growing the file system is somewhat more risky than normal usage, so the chance of a problem resulting in data loss are higher. But you always need a backup, if you care about the data. If you don't backup, you're saying that the data is unimportant, and that there are other more important considerations (i.e. you just don't want to make the effort to back up). It's just a matter of time before people who don't have backups experience irreparable data loss.