extending wifi airport extreme (old and new)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iJny9956, Jun 22, 2015.

1. iJny9956 macrumors member

Just got a new house larger, and I need wifi coverage.

i have an old AirPort Extreme A1301 & a new AirPort Extreme A1521 AC

major difference is obviously 802.11AC but besides that MIMO on the older one is 2×2:2 compared to the new AC 3x3:3. Also, A1301 is not a IPv6 router (don't really need this at the moment i guess)

which configuration should I use these to extend wifi?

-------->modem-------->A1301 (basement)------->A1521802.11AC (upstairs)
    or
    -------->modem-------->A1521802.11AC (basement)-------->A1301 (upstairs)

and why? should i not even use the wifi of 1301? please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

I would go with -------->modem-------->A1521802.11AC (basement) first. See how good the coverage is. It should be significantly better than with just your A1301.
    If its not sufficient then you can add the A1301 preferably via ethernet cable to create a roaming network with the same SSID.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Aside from the basement, does the house have one or two floors?

Unless there's a compelling need for the APExtreme to be in the basement, why not have it on "the main floor"? And if you have a second floor, use the APExpress upstairs?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@iJny9956 Due to the improved antenna system in the new AirPorts, I would personally test the coverage and performance of the single new AirPort. If the coverage is unacceptable, consider moving the AirPort to a central location in the home. Adding an AirPort to wirelessly extend would limit the bandwidth of any client connected to the extending AirPort. If added via Ethernet, you do not have the bandwidth limitations but run into the fact of congestion and interference which may not be necessary. The general rule of thumb is to have as few access points as required to adequately cover the area.

5. iJny9956 thread starter macrumors member

This is good to know. I'm going to do some more testing. I feel like I get the best connection if the airport AC is located in the center floor in the center of the house.

Running cable is an issue because the entire house is finished, and i don't have access to a lot. so Im thinking of having them connect via Powerline Ethernet Adapter. Here is what i'm thinking:

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 12.01.06 AM.png

Powerline Adapter: PowerLine AV2 2000 Gigabit Starter KittDHP-701AV

Maybe just use the AirPort AC to broadcast wifi?

Please let me know.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@iJny9956 You can disable wireless on an AirPort and use it as just a router. What is the most central point in your house? We have a center hall colonial so our center point is a closet on the first floor. We can easily run Ethernet to that closet and put our router there if we chose. What are your options?

Personally, I always advise against power line networking. I know people have a lot of luck with them but I prefer standard Ethernet if at all possible. I have seen some houses with rats nests of wiring that is old where power line networking just does not work properly.

7. iJny9956 thread starter macrumors member

That is what I'm doing, using the AC only for wifi broadcast, so far so good. Cant really do a wired setup will have to run wires through three stories. I saw someone post about running wires down laundry shoot. This house has one that is in kind of the center and it isn't being used, definitely a phase 3.

will try the 90 day risk free trial of powerline :D

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is fine to use a powerline adapter to connect from the modem to the AirPort provided that your ISP's speed is not faster than the adapters can handle.