extending wifi range with repeaters

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andyx181x, Feb 2, 2010.

1. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

Hi there folks, general wifi question here. I got a friend who just moved into one of our apartments at back of our home and I want to extend the range of my wireless router so he can connect his PS3. The only two ideas I have so far was to get an extending phone cable and move the modem as close down the hall of my second floor abode, however I still don't think the signal strength be enough.

So I found out be repeaters and I like an explanation more as to how these works, what model/brand would be easy to configure for mac, cons, etc.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would like to assume that you know that modern modems don't use phone cables, but just to be sure... you almost certainly need a cat-5 ethernet cable.

3. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

So the phone cord coming from my wall to my modem is not your average phone cable? I originally intended to get a longer phone cord and move the modem closer to the back of the house in which its wifi antenna might reach the apartment.

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

If it's a DSL Modem, you can place it an equidistant place between the two desired reception areas and try that.

The ideal way for a PS3 and it's need for consistent up/down stream bandwidth would be a hard-wired home-run of CAT5e or above connection, although you can get 10/100 with CATIII, if terminated correctly.

5. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

In all due honesty I'm hoping not to run a long ethernet cable from my second story room, across our roofs and into his apartment; that is the last resort.

I figured my wifi dsl modem has about a 45 foot range and even if I moved the modem the max I can down the hallway he barely be in the 35-45 feet and most likely not have enough signal connection. Thats why I was wondering if a repeater will extend the range greatly for his PS3 to connect, if not then we may have no choice but to use an external ethernet cable.

6. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

A repeater will have to be hardwire to the base... so yes it will work, but you'll have to have a home-run anyways.

You may want to look into a "ethernet over power" device, since it sounds as though you don't have a drop ceiling or wall cavity to run in, to access your friend's apartment.

Try Amazon for a set, or maybe swing by Best Buy and grab one that you can return if it doesn't work.

7. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

Since these ethernet over devices using the electrically wall outlet to transmit the internet threw, would that mean i need to have the outlets in the same house as the modem is in? If it's two different buildings can it reach and affect my friends apartment?

8. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

I will not work between two different buildings, unless they're on the same breaker box. Sounds like your friend needs to get their own internet source in their apartment, barring some bartering with their neighbors for use of WiFi or ethernet over power.