Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Just a quick question for you all:

I recently got my Mac Pro, but I ordered it without the wireless option. Our router is in the living room, but I have the computer on the other side of the house and I was wanting to know if could use a "Range Extended" base station (not a router) next to the Mac Pro and plug it into an ethernet port on the station. Has anyone ever tried this before?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
But if the Mac isn't wireless enabled, I don't see how it would work.

Does the Extender (theres some on the Apple store site) act as a wireless adapter?

I thought it was just a bridge between your computer and the wireless point. Say for example you use your computer in an outbuilding, or seperate office maybe across the yard. :confused:

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Does the Extender (theres some on the Apple store site) act as a wireless adapter?

That's what I'm wondering. Because the Airport Express has an ethernet port on it...what else would it be used for other than giving something access to the internet or a network?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I believe if you plug an airport express/extreme into the Mac Pro, it can receive signal (wirelessly) from another airport express/extreme.

Word is that the internal module should be ready be Sept 1.

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
So could I buy an off-brand range extender (say, D-Link) and do the same thing?

Mongus

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
New York
For Conecting to a Broadband modem

JoshRtek said:
That's what I'm wondering. Because the Airport Express has an ethernet port on it...what else would it be used for other than giving something access to the internet or a network?

I beleve the ethernet port on the express is so that you can connect to a boradband modem, or say the ethernet cable in a hotel room. Then the Express works as a small wireless router for that connection. I don't know about the way you want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.