Extending wireless using Airport Extreme and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jicon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. jicon macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm doing this wrong... but..

I've got a first gen Airport Extreme with Wireless N, running 7.6.1, and it extends a network in bridged mode to an Airport Express Wireless G, running 6.3... works.

So, having poor connectivity with the G, I got a new Airport Express Wireless N rev 2. dual band, different look, but so be it...

I use the newer Airport Utility, 'extend the network', and as soon as the unit goes online, I lose connectivity to my wireless network sitting right beside my airport extreme... I can see the network, just can't connect.

Pull the power from the Airport Express... voila... my connection is back.

Any ideas? I've tried resetting the AExpress and reconfiguring, just no go... though I don't know where the elusive 'bridged' mode exists in the newer software settings.

I tried posting to the apple support communities, but I can't even read them anymore, as somehow I needed to now register with my appleid... and the system then wants me to pick a new username, but my email address is already tied to another username of some sort... so I can't get past THAT step either... arrghh...

2. jicon thread starter macrumors 6502

alright... needed to step away for a bit and rethink...

set up as a 'new wireless network'... gave it the same name, and turned the router on in bridged mode... NOW, working like a charm.

3. biosci macrumors 6502a

Did you upgrade to increase performance and or reach/extension of the wireless coverage? How did that work out for you? I'm thinking I need to replace all my airport expresses and main AirPort Extreme to make the wireless in my house more reliable as of late bc it's been pretty flaky... Thought maybe with time, they just going 'bad' or lose performance.

4. jicon thread starter macrumors 6502

I will say it is vastly improved. I never want to use WDS, because your throughput ends up getting hammered, but in bridged mode, it is much better if you can.

I had a wireless g Airport Express on my third floor, and an original extreme N in the basement. With the G upstairs, I got spotty bars in some areas on that floor. With the new express, with dual band... better reception. I have yet another express-n rev1, which is being used on the second floor for music distribution only, and connects wirelessly to the network. It has a choice: connect to either the extreme in the basement, or connect to the new dualband express on the top floor. It connects to the dualband express where it can get a better signal.