Extension cable for Apple 24" LED Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac&CheeseWBroc, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Mac&CheeseWBroc macrumors newbie

The cable that accompanies Apple's 24" LED display is surprisingly short.
    This limits considerably the number of ergonomic/office layout possibilities.
    Is anyone aware of a technically acceptable extension cable (even to add 1-3 feet)? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Define technically acceptable. :p

It would have to be female Mini DisplayPort to male Mini DisplayPort, and nothing female exists yet that isn't part of a computer.

3. Mac&CheeseWBroc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

I learned from another forum (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1935642&tstart=0) that the mini display port is "'open' to third party peripheral manufacturers to license..." and so it is "only a matter of time before an extension cable solution" will be available.

Not a surprise I guess.

Thanks again.

4. jmdilley macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. The wickedly fast Mac Pro and gorgeous Cinema Display are severly spacially challenged. Who puts a 4 foot long cable on a display? C'mon, Apple, we expect more from all technology vendors, especially you.

Let's just say it doesn't look good for your products when people walk into my office and see the Mac Pro sitting in a strange location solely because you provided me with a cable shorter than every other monitor cable I've ever owned, and don't provide an optional extension cable.

5. ianc66 macrumors newbie

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

8. dubaimac macrumors regular

I have just ordered 3 of these, they are in stock and have passed their certification, all sorts of different lengths.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, we had to workout the change in the order for our cables to have the longer lengths. We added a 5m (15 foot) and an 8 meter (25 foot) cable for sale on our site. We only have 20 and 15 of each for now but we will add more if they sell well. Let me know if you have any more questions!

<http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-Extension-Cable-(Mini-Displayport-Female-to-Mini-Displayport-Male-Extension-Cable).html>

Regards,
    Andrew Lang

Alex,

We just finished testing some of these cables at 15 feet and they passed pn: H713026. As such we will make some soon to be available online. The price will be 29.95 each but we can sell three cables at a price of $28.15.

These cables may not be available until mid July. I will have to get in contact with production to see how soon we can make a small batch.

If you are interested in ordering these let me know.

Regards, Andrew Lang