Extension cables for acd 27

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jetjaguar, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Which ones are you guys using?
    Need to extend it so i can move my Mac pro under my desk.

2. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

I got the Dr. Bott mini DisplayPort Extension Pro cable (2meter). Note, that link is to the Apple site but I didn't buy it there since almost anywhere else is cheaper.

There are others on the market too and other lengths (e.g., Dr. Bott has a 1m cable). The only two "problems" associated with mDP extension cables are (a) they may be hard to find in stock -- Dr. Bott was a problem at the time I went looking for them and (b) if you want to be able to pass audio through the mDP you need to make sure the cable supports that. For example you can find mDP extension cables in a lot of places but not all also support the audio (for example, monoprice).

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

so does the one you got from the apple store support audio as well?

4. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

Yes, I wouldn't have got it if it didn't :eek:

Even before I ordered my mac I knew I would need extension cables for the ACD because I read posts on how short the monitor's cables were and also saw it in the local Apple store. I contacted Dr. Bott to confirm their mDP cable supported audio passthrough.

FWIW: I bought my Dr. Bott cables from here:

http://www.macproonline.com/Dr-Bott-Mini-DisplayPort/Displays/Accessories-for-your/-p8236146.html

I got it from Mac-Pro because (a) they were hard to get at the time (even Dr. Bott itself didn't have any, which apparently is the case even now -- just checked the 2m on their site) and (b) I found a bunch at Mac-Pro which is fairly close to where I live. Heh, the price there now looks a buck or two cheaper then I paid at the time!

Editorial: Many of the ads for these kind of cables are, IMO, incomplete since they also come with USB. So when they advertise the cable supports audio (generally they say "Audio and video passthrough" if they say anything at all) you can't tell for sure if the mDP supports audio in addition to the USB which of course supports audio. So what I do when faced with ambiguities is contact the manufacturers directly.

At least Monoprice, my preferred (first choice) place for ordering cables, is honest to say up front that their mDP cables don't support audio. They're a great place to order cables if the cables fulfill you needs.

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

thanks for your help. I just got a 2010 quad which i will upgrade the cpu to a hex in a month or so. I also got a 27acd .. nice monitor .. kinda miss the 30acd i used to have but decided to get the 27 instead. I have no idea why apple makes these cables so damn short. I might pick up a second monitor so i guess i will need two sets.