Extension for Safari to bring noisy tab to front?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueberryMac, Jul 20, 2010.

1. BlueberryMac macrumors member

BlueberryMac

Hi there, often I'll have a bunch of tabs open in Safari and in one of them some audio will start playing—usually some sort of talking flash ad.

I have to then cycle through all of the tabs until I find the offending page to click on some embedded mute button on the ad. This is a pain normally, and moreso if I'm in the middle of watching something on Hulu or Comedy Central (where the ad's audio is overplaying the audio I actually want to hear).

Now that Safari has support for extensions, has anyone created an extension that you could, say, click on and it would bring any noise-causing tab to the front?

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I've never heard of such an interesting request, and I've never heard of it being done anywhere (not to say it hasn't; I just haven't heard about such an idea). Considering that, the short time Safari extensions have been out, and the few technologies they support, I must conclude I do not believe there is such an extension.

Of course, you can always try making one yourself and seeing what happens. But I don't know how optimistic you are about something like that. I think it would be a shot in the dark anyway, and not worth the effort.

3. CynthiaRose macrumors newbie

Still blue over noisy tabs :( I hope you found a solution by now... ?

Still blue over noisy tabs :( I hope you found a solution by now... ?

Have you?

I'd SOOOOOOOO appreciate you sharing your solution if so as it's been driving me crazy for years!??

sigh.

Thanks for the reply Blue... or whoever else has an answer to this.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use the Click to Flash plug in to keep videos from loading when I'm tethered to my iPhone. You can whitelist sites like Hulu so you don't have to approve them every time.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I really like how Chrome puts the speaker symbol in the tab that starts playing music.

6. CynthiaRose macrumors newbie

glen, click to flash is great for flash videos -thanks for that!

i also stumbled upon click to plugin which stops everything from loading! it's fantastic as it seems to prevent the problem (hide and seek sound) from happening in the first place.

Ahhh...

It's working so far, minus an apple iMovie tutorial that auto played... but to get em all will likely be a better inside job ;-)

I agree with you John on putting a speaker icon on the actual tab within chrome.... It makes it soooooo easy to find that way!

I'm looking forward to a similar fix in safari.

Okay :) Til then it looks as tho my issue is resolved for the most part! Thanks again :)