Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antipode2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Hello All,

I have a recent iMac, and an older Thunderbolt Display. I want the display further away from my iMac than the display's cable allows.
I also have a TB drive (LaCie 1 port TB drive) hooked up to the display, which I'd like to keep hooked up to the display, and occasionally I use the USB ports too.

What are my options? I'd like the display about another 60cm further away.

(I guess I could buy a LaCie SSD Thunderbolt drive, which has two thunderbolt ports, and daisy chain this in the middle, but I'd rather not spend the money (and it would have to be an SSD drive as it bugs my having a spinning drive on my desk).)

Thanks!

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Well, some money will have to be spent... Get a 2 meter Thunderbolt cable ($ 49), plug it into the spare port on the display and into the iMac, and run your display through it.

Antipode2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Well, some money will have to be spent... Get a 2 meter Thunderbolt cable ($ 49), plug it into the spare port on the display and into the iMac, and run your display through it.

OK! Will do. Do you know if the USB ports will still work?

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Just for the record: the data cable in the cable bundle of the TBD is just a regular Thunderbolt cable that plugs into an internally mounted Thunderbolt port. Both Thunderbolt ports, internal and external, run off the same controller and can be used symmetrically: either one can be used to connect to the iMac and has full functionality (such as running USB devices through them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.