Extensions Apple's way to open up Siri?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by makowb, Jun 16, 2014.

1. makowb macrumors member

I was thinking about extensions a lot and how they are essentially a single module to enable connectivity from one app to another for one specific task. I think that this would be an awesome way to enable Siri to be opened up to other apps finally.

Because Siri is already supposed to be an interpretative command receiver such as "wake me up at 8" instead of "Set an alarm at 8pm" she could probably take commands such as:

"Siri Using Clear, Remind me to pick up milk."
    or
    "Siri, Remind me to pick up milk with Clear."

Of course this means that developers would most likely have to add in what specific keywords they want to accomplish tasks and then educate their own users on what is possible. But siri could also have a "help" menu, sort of like the command prompt of yore. "diskpart -help"

"Siri, what commands can I use with Clear"?

Then a list of the commands supported would appear. It would be advantageous at this point to have the command select-able via touch or voice to intiate it, or a "?" bringing the user to the app itself for a more detailed explanation.

I don't know if this is their plan, but I think it's about time that Siri be extensible and be much more useful.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Maybe they didn't have time to finish programming it all. So they stuck to more important stuff.

3. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Would be nice to see this, hopefully in 8.1 but I'm sure by iOS 9 we'll have this type of Siri extensibility