extensive refresh on upcoming rMBP expected?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Omega1300, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Omega1300 macrumors member

Hey all - quick question. So I've been in the market to replace my 2007-ish white macbook since the last June release of the MBA.

I'll keep this short - basically I was set on an Air - but was holding off due to the rumored "12 retina Air" which may or may not come to be.

I've found after looking through upgrades etc, I might be better off with the 13" 256/8GB version of the retina Pro. It's close to the same weight, has the additional ram and HD space over the Air and already has a retina display.

So - given the rMBP just had a rather large refresh - is the next one expected to be much more than a spec bump? Am I better off waiting at this point? I feel the rMBP was refreshed more recently than the Air?

I appreciate the help & opinions (even though one of threads pops up hourly...) - as when I bought my macbook is was immediately after refresh - but maybe it's not that big a deal.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing is rumored until Intel releases the delayed Broadwell chipset. If a refresh is to come, it won't until late next year

3. leman macrumors 604

Do not expect a refresh for the 13" any soon - there is simply no new hardware to refresh them with. The next refresh would be the next generation of Intel's CPUs, but they have been delayed to end of the year (or maybe later). The 15" could see a GPU update before that though.

So, if you want to buy a 13" - its a good time to do it. I wouldn't expect any substantial updates to it this year.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

The only rumours for a rMBP upgrade in June or thereabouts is a slight increase in processor speed. Even the late 2014 is only speculation.

Barney

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I doubt the next 13" refresh will be bigger then the last one for the 13".

6. Omega1300 thread starter macrumors member

7. slo-climber macrumors member

When do you guys expect the next version of rMBP will come out? I don't mean Broadwell version, but the updated Haswell.

8. leman macrumors 604

I expect them to update the rMBP with new Nvidia GPUs by the summer. AFAIK, Intel haven't released any new Haswell CPUs so I can't speculate about this.

9. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A Gpu only upgrade in the summe? Since only the top of the line 15" rMBP has a dGPU it seems unlikely that we'll see something like this imo.

11. slo-climber macrumors member

I'm looking to purchase 15'' rMBP in April. I plan to buy top end model (2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM). I'm only not decided yet about storage - 512 GB or 1 TB.

Do you suggest me to wait until summer for the refreshed model? Will be there any significant differences in comparison with current top end model?
    Note, that I need new computer quite soon.

12. bhilimon, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

bhilimon macrumors newbie

I was recently looking into this before buying and this was my take on the situation.... With the Broadwell CPUs slipping to Q4/2014 or Q1/2015 I figured this was a good time to buy as I don't foresee a major refresh for possibly a year. Any Haswell CPU refresh in mid-2014 would likely be very small and unlikely to bring any new/better integrated graphics. I also don't foresee any new tech coming out soon such as new interface options or internal components the MBP doesn't already have. It already has AC wireless, SSD, plenty of RAM, high-res screen. I bought the 13" MPB and am so far a happy 1st time mac owner.

13. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I purchased rmbp 15 late 2013 and I am happy with it.
    But I wonder if there is any sign of new models on the horizon.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No so sign, no rumors nothing. I think at most we'll see a tiny spec bump imo.