External 2nd monitor for 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DanielK, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DanielK macrumors newbie

I'm trying to find a good external monitor for my 24" aluminum iMac to use side-by-side with the built-in monitor. I am a computer programmer, so I need something that will be sharp and clear, and have a wide viewing angle (since I may be in front of one monitor and looking at the other from the side). I'm not a graphic designer or anything, so having perfect color matching, etc isn't as critical, but I would like image quality that is at least as good as my iMac. I'm looking primarily for a 24 widescreen monitor, since I figure that will make it easiest for working alongside the iMac.

I like the iMac, and it would be nice, but not critical, to find something that looks good next to it. I'd also prefer a monitor that has a variety of inputs, because I might occasionally want to hook the new monitor up to a console video game system (if I ever get around to getting one. :) ).

Because the imac has a glossy screen, and I really like it, I figured I would prefer another glossy monitor, but there seem to be fewer glossy options available, and there seem to be issues with some of those. Right now I'm leaning toward the Dell 2408WFP, which is pricey but well reviewed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for second monitors that have worked well for them, or issues I ought to be on the lookout for?

2. geekygabe macrumors newbie

geekygabe

I came here after doing a search for precisely this issue. I was looking at the Dell 2408WFP and was trying to get ideas for how well it would go with the 24" aluminum iMac I just ordered. As an editor, I'm nuts about consistency and symmetry. :)

My iMac is en route, but from the specs on both items I think I will need an adapter to connect the iMac's mini-DVI output port to the Dell's DVI-D. Am I correct?

3. DanielK thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe iMac comes with a mini-DVI to DVI connector, and this connector should connect to the DVI cable that comes with with the Dell monitor.

As for consistency and symmetry, the Dell monitor has a matte screen, as opposed to iMac's glossy screen, so that might not appeal to you. I looked for comparable glossy screen, but haven't seen anything yet that didn't involve other compromises I wasn't willing to make. I'm still in the market for other suggestions.

4. geekygabe macrumors newbie

geekygabe

The computer has since arrived. Yay. I did have to buy a mini-DVI–to–DVI adapter, but it worked like a dream. I actually ended up going with a Samsung 24" 245BW, and I love it. It looks great next to the iMac (height-adjustable stand made it easy to align). I put one of my white Apple stickers on it to round out the look. The black-and-white mix looks good. I'd send a picture, but unfortunately the only digital camera I have is that embedded in the iMac itself. :) Thanks for your input, though, and good luck finding something that will work for you.