External 3.5 disk enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by efunk, Sep 16, 2008.

1. efunk macrumors newbie

I'm buying Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 32Mb disk tomorrow. Searched a lot for USB + Firewire disk enclosures lately and I think I'll go with Macally products. I just can't decide and actually don't know the difference between them. Which one is newer/better? I'll be using it for information storage (Music, Videos, Photos, etc.) with my Macbook trough firewire 400 port.
    Thanks in advance.

PHR-100AC or ECO-350UA

P.S. If anyone feels like advising some other product, please feel free to do so. :)

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I've had great experience with Otherworldcomputing's brand of external enclosures. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it.

3. vultureboy70 macrumors member

Make sure you're getting the right enclosure for the right type of hard drive. I could be wrong, but your enclosure links are ATA/IDE. And the Samsung Spinpoint F1 is SATA.

4. efunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think ATA is the same as Serial ATA (SATA). Or am I wrong? buddyguyman thanks, I'll look into it.

5. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

They are NOT the same! ATA = IDE connector. SATA = well SATA connector lol. I hope my response isnt too late! Anyways Im in the same boat as you, I want to get a 500gb HD with a sweet external enclosure...I'd take a look @ this Macally enclosure from Newegg! Its only $35 and has great reviews! And it supports USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and even eSATA so its future proof!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347017
    It looks very "mac-like" too!

6. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Right now I'm a bit hesitant to recommend macally enclosures. I have two PHR-100AF enclosures for some ide drives I had. its a FW400 only drive and supposedly is daisychainable. This is untrue. Anytime I daisy chain them they go all wonky and wont work work at all on my macbook. As long as only one is used its fine. I called macally and they said they should work fine and to return them to newegg. I swapped both enclosures for new ones at newegg and the same thing happens.

Zack