External 30 cinema with new MBP Ergonomics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nevisbound, Nov 7, 2008.

1. nevisbound macrumors newbie

nevisbound

Using Macbook Pro as alternative to Mac Pro
    I'm considering using a higher end new MBP with a 30' cinema and DVI adaptor paired with external wireless mouse and keyboard as an alternative to a new MP. I know I will take a hit in speed and ability to expand. But mainly I do a lot of photo editing and need the screen size but not the processing power of the MP. I can use a timecapsule for the extra storage capacity when I need it.

I'm considering this because I work in two offices. I use one office for photo editing and the other office more for spreadsheets, email etc. I will have the desktop setup with the 30'' one place where I edit photos but be able to use the MBP laptop in the second office and on the road.

I dont want to spend the money to get both a MBP and MP with display, which of course, would be the cost-is-no object solution.

Does anyone forsee any problems with this approach? Has anyone done this or had experience using a MBP with an external monitor. How's the ergonomics? How do the wireless KBD and mouse work with the MBPs?

Thanks all.

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I personally don't have first hand experience, but I can offer something else. Take a look at these threads.

People just post their set-ups. It's a great resource for ideas on what to do.

3. nevisbound thread starter macrumors newbie

nevisbound

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I ran a PowerBook with this same setup. Well, over time I graduated to the 30".

I actually used an external mouse and keyboard as well. The PB just ran in clamshell mode and caused not issues with ergonomics. In my case my keyboard was bluetooth and the mouse used a USB RF transmitter. Both worked just fine.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I know. Every time I look at that thread, I want to spend another couple hundred dollars. Needless to say, I try not to look at it too often.

I do know of one issue with powering a 30" screen off the new MBPs. It requires a special cable. You'll need a Display Port -> Dual-Link DVI. Apple sells it, but it's $100. Plus- you'll need to wait 4-5 weeks!

If that isn't prohibitory, I don't know what it.

You wouldn't need a Dual-Link DVI to run displays less than 30". I think it will work up to 24".

If you wait a longer while, there might be a cable cheaper on monoprice or likewise.