External 500 GB HD Turns to 230 GB HD For no reason

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S.Templar, Dec 7, 2009.

1. S.Templar macrumors newbie

Hi, i formated my external hd to clone my old macbook stuff on there to my imac and now my external hd is 230 gb big instead of the usual 500 gb. I have no partitions on the hd so i dont get it.

the external LACIE hd was formated MS-DOS fat 32 first now its MAc os extended journaled

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

What process did you use to "clone" your MacBook stuff to the drive?

It sounds like you actually cloned the MacBook's hard drive (partitions, formatting, everything...) to the new drive.

You can use Disk Utility to either resize the partition, or better yet, create a new partition in the unused area and use this space for additional storage.

3. S.Templar thread starter macrumors newbie

No i dont don't think thats what happened because my macbook has 80 gb max and the external went to 230 gb. It also has no particions

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

^^ This. :)

5. drtech macrumors newbie

This is a good one!

Open Disk Utility and connect your external hard drive. In the left panel, Disk Utility should see the hard drive and display its "native" size. This is the size of the drive (seen below as 120.03GB for the FireWire attached hard drive), and not the size of the partitions on the drive.

[​IMG]

If it tells you that the drive is 500GB (or thereabout) then the issue is probably a formatting or partitioning issue. If it tells you that the drive is 230GB (or something significantly less, or even more, than 500GB) then this is most likely a hardware issue with the LaCie enclosure or, more likely, the hard drive inside the enclosure.

Jeff

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Are you sure it's not a transformer bent on destroying the world, one GB at a time?