Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I noticed that the menu icon that shows external access is now a simple blue dot next to the Stage Manager icon, while it was an arrow in the menubar under Ventura 13.2.1. Can others confirm this? A pale blue dot in the menubar is very hard to see on my ASD display. I wonder why Apple have done this.

bluedot.jpg

Reactions: bravespirit83

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
This location indicator is new in macOS 13.3. It was always a blue dot on iPhone and iPad and now Apple has brought it to the Mac. The arrow you saw must have been something else (I am not familiar with "external access"). Also, what you refer to as the Stage Manager icon is really the Control Center icon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cham2000

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
This location indicator is new in macOS 13.3. It was always a blue dot on iPhone and iPad and now Apple has brought it to the Mac. The arrow you saw must have been something else (I am not familiar with "external access"). Also, what you refer to as the Stage Manager icon is really the Control Center icon.

The arrow is still shown in the Localisation settings pane. It feels a bit inconsistent.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
See if this article helps. I think the icon specifically was for system services using your location. It's off by default.

Also, I found Apple's documentation that the dot is new in 13.3. It indicates that the current location of your Mac is being used.

Reactions: Cham2000

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
See if this article helps. I think the icon specifically was for system services using your location. It's off by default.
Also, I found Apple's documentation that the dot is new in 13.3. It indicates that the current location of your Mac is being used.

This confirms that the arrow is being replaced by the blue dot. In 13.2.1, I was seeing the arrow in the menubar each time my location was used (I turned ON this option in the settings panel). Now, under 13.3, the arrow is replaced by the blue dot. It's odd that the arrow is still shown in the settings panel, instead of a blue dot. This is inconsistent. Why there's an arrow in the Location settings? I think the arrow was better, more easily noticed on a large screen. The arrow was self-speaking. A blue dot is just ... a blue dot which doesn't say anything by itself (contrary to an arrow). We have to drop down the Control Center menu to see what it's telling.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The dot is consistent with the microphone and camera indicators. They are just there to get your attention.

PineappleCake

Suspended
Feb 18, 2023
The arrow was self-speaking. A blue dot is just ... a blue dot which doesn't say anything by itself (contrary to an arrow). We have to drop down the Control Center menu to see what it's telling.
Its now consistent with the other dots. Orange for mic/camera and blue dot is always for Location.

You see a blue dot, you think now that an App is using your location services.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
Its now consistent with the other dots. Orange for mic/camera and blue dot is always for Location.

You see a blue dot, you think now that an App is using your location services.
But then why is the arrow still shown in the Location settings pane? It should be removed for consistency.

I don't see why a blue dot is consistent with the camera or the microphone dot. The location isn't a device like a microphone or a camera!

PineappleCake

Suspended
Feb 18, 2023
But then why is the arrow still shown in the Location settings pane? It should be removed for consistency.

I don't see why a blue dot is consistent with the camera or the microphone dot. The location isn't a device like a microphone or a camera!
It's a visual cue now in the menu bar denoted by colour, whereas in settings its an icon. Notice, how the camera and mic icons are still visable in the privacy settings.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Do you want Apple to remove the microphone and camera icons from the Location settings pane too?

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
Do you want Apple to remove the microphone and camera icons from the Location settings pane too?
Well, again, I don't see the localisation as a similar thing as a microphone or a camera. Localisation isn't a "device". So fine with a dot for the camera and the microphone (or any other icon), but I think the arrow was a good indicator of a localisation process.

Reactions: Carrotcruncher

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't think Apple views the dots as devices. They are privacy indicators. If you reframe them like that, they make sense.

Carrotcruncher

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
I don't think Apple views the dots as devices. They are privacy indicators. If you reframe them like that, they make sense.
If you left it how it was it made sense for everyone, if you are happy to constantly waste valuable life you wont get back working out constant changes thats good for you, it seems quite clear Apple are in complete disarray, this is a company that is going to end up like Nokia and wont see it coming. There is less reason to own a mac with every update. For some people Apple could literally put a rotten banana in the box says its a mac and they would be happy.

Carrotcruncher

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
Well, again, I don't see the localisation as a similar thing as a microphone or a camera. Localisation isn't a "device". So fine with a dot for the camera and the microphone (or any other icon), but I think the arrow was a good indicator of a localisation process.
I think the fact that this page cant make up its mind what the hell it is or its purpose is case closed, Ventura is a mess, why even buy a mac? Just buy a cheap ipad, same OS same design.

Newtons

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2022
This confirms that the arrow is being replaced by the blue dot. In 13.2.1, I was seeing the arrow in the menubar each time my location was used (I turned ON this option in the settings panel). Now, under 13.3, the arrow is replaced by the blue dot. It's odd that the arrow is still shown in the settings panel, instead of a blue dot. This is inconsistent. Why there's an arrow in the Location settings? I think the arrow was better, more easily noticed on a large screen. The arrow was self-speaking. A blue dot is just ... a blue dot which doesn't say anything by itself (contrary to an arrow). We have to drop down the Control Center menu to see what it's telling.
Im getting this blue dot randomly on my iphone but I also get the arrows. It appears in my upper left hand corner of my phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.