External Antenna for MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cablebob1, May 21, 2009.

1. cablebob1 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to access my wireless router from fairly far away and the signal is very weak. I wanted to make a cantenna to hook up to my MacBook but wasn't sure about how to go about that. Is there any way to boost the range by hooking up an external antenna to the Mac? Or is there any other cheap way to boost the signal from the computer end. Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What kind of access point are you running? Some APs allow higher gain antennae and some allow you to connect signal boosters.

3. cablebob1 thread starter macrumors newbie

External Antenna for MacBook

I'm connecting through a linksys router that has a boosted antenna on it already. I want to hook up a cantenna on my end to receive the signal. Any tips?

4. Spares macrumors member

I might sound kinda stupid but you could always try a long Ethernet, plug that into your modem and then your router on the other end. You can then move your router into a more convenient location.

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

This answer may be out of the OPs possibilities, but I think that if one truly wants to extend their wireless signal to a longer distance, you should try using a system like WDS. Many routers and such support it these days, and you'll likely see better performance from it than using an antenna. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just from my personal experience.