external audio card for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crown16, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have an imac intel(white) and i would like to get an external sound card that is more powerfull then the one i have built-in. so i can for example use a 5.1 speaker set. any idea's? on what kind of card to buy and where to get it?

2. little nin macrumors newbie

there's this Griffin FireWave which is supposed to be ok and get the job done

There's also the Creative SoundBlaster which will work but not be great, i have one myself and can't really take advantage of what it can do as it's really made for PC and just usable with mac, it will give u 5.1 but like, only with .ac3 files specifically, no real way to get the other speakers to work in any other way, i don't think it will work with gaming either, the DVD Player app doesn't offer me 5.1 for some reason too.

3. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

Firewave huh, i take it it uses a firewire port that would be nice for a change, never really use those. just have to see if i can get it here in the netherlands, did some quick surfing and is 20bucks in the states:O

4. adonzelli macrumors newbie

Griffin FireWave

Hey, I've also been interested in purchasing an external audio card so I can play 5.1 surround sound, and the FireWave seems to be the only great one. I'm also living in the Netherlands so i was wondering if you found it? Where? I know Griffin doesn't make them anymore :(.

If not does anyone know of other external sound cards that work with mac?

thanks

5. finnschi macrumors 6502

Hey guys I was searching for a USB 5.1 Audio card as well , (my mac does not have firewire) after not being able to find ANYTHING one of my friends gave me his old SB X-FI Surround 5.1 card, and after upgrading to SL I was able to use 5.1 audio ( I can select audi/midi setup settings for 5.1 which was previously not possible (with Leopard)

I just figured it out 10 minutes ago and i am totaly Happy, so i am going to set up my surround system now and i am going to watch some HD movies :rolleyes:

Edit: the cards model nr is Sb 1090
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102020
    http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-SB1090-Blaster-Surround/dp/B0017QQQAE
    (is there a AMAZOn for NL?

6. neenja macrumors 6502

great info finnschi!! ive been searching everywhere to find out if that external sound card works with osx. do you run bootcamp xp? if so, any problems having them work there also?

7. finnschi macrumors 6502

It works well with Xp and Windows 7 as well(via bootcamp) ! it does not say its compatible with OSX , but it does work on my 10.6 MacBook (also 5.1!!!!! :D

8. finnschi macrumors 6502

I would not use it for gaming though, it create a very small lag (you won't hear it when watching movies though) at least one of my friends told me that his sucks for playing CS:S but well.. :D mine is AWESOME!