External audio input routed through Macbook speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uabcar, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I'm evaluating moving from a dell laptop to a MacBook for work. I'm a mac use at home (desktops though) so I'm very comfortable in the OSX environment and would like to extend to work.

One thing I do everyday, while my Dell is docked in my office, is route an external XM radio through the laptop's audio in jack. As I recall, I had to do some configuring to enable 'monitoring' or something when I first set things. This setup enables me to control volume/mute via keyboard shortcuts and play real-time through my regular PC speakers. I find the setup very convenient and don't want to lose the capability.

I assume there is a way to pipe outside audio and listen to it real-time on the macbook but I'm hoping someone can confirm this.

2. flipnap macrumors 6502

i can route audio into the macbook but you have to use the three ring adapter. for example the "irig" jack for instruments. if you just plug a regular 2 ring minijack into the macbook it wont work because its an in AND out port, meaning it needs that type of "adapter" to successfully port audio in and out of one single port. hope that makes sense.

3. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for the response. I'll have to check into the iRig.