external audio recording feature on iPod or other MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by julgen, Jun 21, 2008.

1. julgen macrumors newbie

Hello all,

This is my first time posting, AND I am a newish Mac-user. I bought an iBook G4 about 18 months ago. I have been thinking of buying an MP3 player and would like it to have external audio recording capability, as I have joined a chorus and would like to record our practice sessions. I am not looking for perfect quality, just enough to help me follow the music. You must know I am a bit "technologically challenged" and want simplicity and ease of use ABOVE ALL. Expense is also an issue so refurbished or older models would be welcome--I do not need a huge memory either.

Question 1. Am I right in assuming it should be an Apple (thus iPod) product for it to be compatible with my computer, as I also would like to be able to download music and audio books from the internet?

Question 2. Do any of the iPods have a built-in mike or would I need extra equipment?

Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

julgen

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You'll need to buy a mic for the ipod for it to act like a recorder. Here is a review of 3.

The iPod itself can play mp3, aac, and wav files and you can convert wma files to either of those using iTunes.

3. julgen thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: external audio-iPod

Thanks a lot for the prompt answer. You didn't, however, say whether another make of MP3 player would be compatible with my iBook G4? I don't really understand your statement about the other kinds of files that can be converted....

julgen

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Some are compatible. Creative makes some that are. The Zune is not compatible. Anything that you could go purchase at Wal-Mart for $40 may or may not be compatible. My recomendation would be to go get a 4G iPod and one of the Mics those seemed to be superior to the 5(.5)G versions. Also (iThink that) the B&O is compatible. I would imagine that there are numerous third party drivers making things compatible. Whether or not they work in iTunes is another story.