External Backup HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wwwscott, Dec 9, 2009.

1. wwwscott macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for a backup drive to store all my pictures and files that can connect to my wireless router.

I'm looking to backup files from my imac and my PC laptop...perhaps also one that my xbox 360 can connect to and perhaps stream videos and music. I have a SKY wireless router which has ethernet capability.

Apple Time Capsule ?, other NAS drive ?, Any ideas would be very much appriciated.

Thanks.

Scott

2. svkrzn macrumors regular

sorry for using your thread, but since i need an external backup hdd, my question is a bit different: can i use time machine with a simple external drive rather than with time capsule that costs a lot?

3. rekhyt macrumors 65816

It's just that with Time Capsule you can back up wirelessly and easier using the interface.

But yes, you can use your own external hard drive for the purpose of backing up using Time Machine. (I use my own external hard drive too for that. :D)

Just make sure that the external hard drive you're using is formatted is Mac (Extended).

4. mindquest macrumors regular

5. 3121 macrumors member

I have 2 western Digital drives and they've never given me any problems.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

Personally I have used Western Digital (a couple times), OWC, G-Tech and Iomega. My only problems have been with the Iomega which can be found in the guide.

7. svkrzn macrumors regular

Nice, but why when i try to setup a hard disk for time machine, it looks only for wireless HDs through the airport. Is there a way to select an usb drive?

8. mindquest macrumors regular

Have you ever tried using an external and an online back-up solution on the same machine? I wonder if they would be a problem doing back-ups at the same time. But I do love the idea of backing up offsite in case the building is compromised.

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I'd say if you dont want to find your own enclosure and drive, to grab a WD passport or one of the newer MyBooks; Preferred with FireWire 800

well Western Digitals have a pretty good reputable line up, i have had great drives from them from their 250GB to their 2TB drives.
    The only qualms, is the Third-party manufactures listed use a wide range of drives from Fujitsu to WD to Seagate to Hitachi to Toshiba, etc etc.
    So you never quite know what youll get in those third party solutions.

I also have multiple back ups of each back up.
    I have a time capsule then every so often ill back that up to a separate disk.
    then using SuperDuper, clone my internal and then clone that clone i made all to separate disks

Regardless of brand its always good to have multiple sources of backsups.

10. Crawdad Guest

Avoid Maxtor

I have (or maybe it's time to say had) a Maxtor one-touch III 1.5 TB external drive attached by Firewire. It went bad in a few months, was replaced under warranty, and the replacement has failed also.