External battery charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caliglas, Jan 25, 2012.

1. caliglas macrumors newbie

Hello. My Macbook Pro 15" fell while connected to the power supply. The connector at the computer does not work any more. Got crushed in on the fall. I have found external battery chargers. Does anyone know of an adapter that will connect to my regular power supply? Thanks,
    Jerry

2. simsaladimbamba

Is the MagSafe power adapter damaged or the actual MagSafe port on your computer?
    If it is the first, you can buy a new power adapter.
    If it is the latter, how would you even connect a power adapter to it?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The battery is not considered user replaceable and as such there are no external battery chargers or adapters to allow external charging. Its a pain to unscrew the bottom plate pull the battery charge it up, screw the bottom plate and do that each and every time you need to charge it.

My recommendation is to get apple to repair the laptop so it works as it should

4. caliglas thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery pops right out. And yes it is the port. Like I said I have found an external charger that connects right to the battery for $40 but was wondering if there was an adapter that works with my existing power cord. Anything is better than buying a new computer which is my only option if I cannot charge the battery.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Having apple repair it, is not an option?

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im confused if the battery pops right out and the battery connects to the external charger whats this adapter your asking about going to be used to help

are you saying the external charger does not have a plug?

8. caliglas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Matt. Sounds like a good option.

Maybe there is something out there. Who knows? Just being cheap.
    Jerry

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you have an older model with a removable battery. Whether or not that's the case, you can't charge the battery properly without it being in your MBP. The charging process involves your MagSafe adapter, your battery, and your MBP's logic board. Without all 3 present and working properly, you can't properly charge your battery. You should have the charging port repaired.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

10. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This seems like a much better option than unscrewing the back plate every time your computer runs out of power... Can you show us a picture of the machine?

*GGJ beat me to it, just realized you probably the older model with the removable battery.

Here you go:

Removable battery chargers for 1st gen MBP

Personally I'd try to replace the port, or have it replaced.

11. caliglas thread starter macrumors newbie

No sorry, no pictures. I'm doing all this on my iphone till I get home tomorrow and back this thing up so I can transfer if I need to get a new computer. This is a 2008 MBP btw. I have this apart and it looks like the power port is connected to the motherboard. Bummer. I am going to take it to someone who knows what they're doing. :) I'll get the external charger before I spend the $ on a new computer. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know about the repair

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

having to recharge every time you use the computer is going to be very unpleasant. I'd recommend fixing it or getting a new one.

13. Msvergara macrumors newbie

External charger

Can you please send me the link to the external charged you got?
    Thanks