External battery charging options for PB G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Veinticinco, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

DC inboard finally given up the ghost :(

Battery relatively new and PB in perfect working condition so trying to sort temporary solution using an external charger.

Not the Newertech "dock" style as stupidly expensive but even the basic Chinese generic crap on eBay is $70-80 plus. It's just a 6-pin 10.8V connector!

[​IMG]

The FastMac U-Charge looks a much better proposition and cheaper at $60 although shipping to Europe plus import taxes etc. and the cost racks up.

[​IMG]

Any other alternatives, advice or experience? Thanks in advance.

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

At those prices ?

Get another (differntly) broken PB from EBay and replace the DC-board *doh*

Those external chargers seem a bit unpratical unless you have a 2nd good battery.

3. Veinticinco thread starter macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Thanks but have you seen how much ebay sellers want for dead PBs? And there's no guarantee they'd have a working DC board either given this is probably the most common MB fault along with the lower RAM slot.

And even then, you've got the trouble of basically gutting your PB just to replace the DC board. I've replaced display and other parts before but you've got to strip it down completely to get at the DC board. I draw the line when it comes to messing around with thermal paste etc.

I have 2 batteries, one excellent capacity, the other good. Hence the external charger route. Figure it's a more cost-effective investment

----------

Does anyone know if the required 6-pin connector can be found elsewhere? Or is proprietary?

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Dunno, bought a 5.9 just a few weeks ago:
    - ESC-key missing
    - paint stripped off below space-key

Everything else allmost as good as new.

124Euro ....

Sure stripping a PB down is some work, but surely not enough (for me) to comprimise on useabilty.

Bout building your own charger, those batteries need some basic smart in the charger, just supplying x V will destroy them sooner than later.