External Battery Pack for the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by All In, Aug 2, 2011.

1. All In macrumors newbie

So if we're looking at less than 3 hours for the MBA 11, are there any external battery packs available? Something that can travel with you in the air/train/car etc that may not have a power outlet?

2. The Expert macrumors newbie

Short answer: No.
    Explanation: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, The macbook air battery can not be replaced or taken out without Apple doing it for you. If you somehow manage to get it out and replace it, your warranty is voided.

3. All In thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to replace the battery, but a portable battery pack source that could power the MBA. If it would charge it too that would be a plus.

4. PaulWog Suspended

Yes:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm#BuyNow

Unfortunately these require an additional investment: you have to purchase an Apple Magsafe Airline adapter for this to work (since Apple sued HyperJuice and forced them to stop providing Magsafe adapters for their devices).

5. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That's why I would suggest you try checking eBay to see if you can get some of the original HyperMac models. They all use Li-Ion batteries, so no memory effect - though clearly the battery can still be abused. In any case, I have the 60 Wh model that I use with the MBA and also the 150 Wh model that I used to use with my MBP. They work quite well. I would caution against the accuracy of time estimates used by Hypershop, as my experience isn't quite as positive. Nevertheless, and extra few hours of battery life, which these units do deliver, can be quite helpful when flying, etc.

7. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

That is a good idea in checking ebay. I will do that.