external battery that works with otterbox

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newguy55, Apr 13, 2010.

1. newguy55 macrumors newbie

I am looking for an external battery that will work with 3GS and the otterbox defender. It only has a small opening at the bottom so is there anything out there that works? I would like something that connects directly to the phone, not through a cord.

Thanks

2. jtara macrumors 65816

I got one at Fry's that plugs directly into the bottom of the phone. It's not very big. Biggest problem is that I KNOW I'm going to lose it, because it's fallen off a couple of times already when I removed the phone from my pocket.

Ah, I found this on Amazon. It looks just like it. It's branded differently, but I suspect it's re-branded by several manufacturers. It was a tad cheaper at Fry's - I think $29.95.

It's not super high capacity - 800mAh, so it adds only 50% to the internal battery capacity (after charging inefficiency), but it's probably the smallest one around. And it is officially certified "works with iPhone".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01NFQQEX3SWSJKEGJPXD

3. newguy55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have an otterbox defender case that you tried it with?

It doesnt look like it would work from the pic.

The device essentially has to be the exact same size as the OEM doc cable plug to fit as that is the size of the hole in the bottom of the defender case

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I know you don't want a cord attached battery but I really think it's your only safe option. The thought of something that has a long enough connector to clear the plastic lip that surrounds the rubber plug on the Defender and then would have the weight of the battery just hanging out there just sounds like a bad idea to me. It makes me cringe to think of that weight just hanging out there putting stress on the connector.

5. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac