External Blu-ray burner: which one do you suggest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxPower72, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I'd like to know what brand and model of Blu-ray external burner are you guys using and which you consider the best for reliability, construction quality and very important, the portability.
    thank you
    Max

2. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

Try out this ASUS. I just ordered one. I'm sorta playing it by ear and sorta looking at the reviews. ASUS also has the USB 3.0 ones but everyone who makes those have big clunky ones that look like a brick.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842909-REG/ASUS_SBW_06D2X_U_External_Slim_Blu_ray_Writer.html

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

4. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

I'm not sure if you can do that. I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. I will let you know if it works once I hook it up to my Time Capsule. If it works on that it will work with the Air Port Extreme.

5. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

I've been using the Pioneer BDR-XD04 that I got from Best Buy with great success.

6. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I purchased and am using the LG CP40NG10 Blu-Ray reader (very portable). I decided against the burner because I use the apple TV and stream to my TV. It has worked great for the week I've owned it. I use it with MakeMKV and consistently get a 5x rip speed with only one USB port connected. It usually takes about 45min-1hr30min for each BR rip.

7. MaxPower72 thread starter macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I like ASUS products, I had a laptop that lasted 6 years and was built like a tank. I was looking at the Pioneer one lately and it seems interesting enough to be worth trying it.

I was checking also the LACie one and despite the very good reviews on the performance I think that it's really bulky and it just looks like a regular drive put inside an enclosure.

I would use it for playback but mainly for large back-ups

8. MaxPower72 thread starter macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

9. MaxPower72 thread starter macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

what's the difference between BDR-XD04 and BDR-XD04R? just the color I assume?!

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Most USB Blu-Ray drives are sold in a reader and burner version so there may just be a recorder and reader version as 2 available options.. I may be wrong though.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That looks like what I'm looking for. I tried the LG, but it was totally unreliable and I returned it. How long have you had the Pioneer, and how's it working out for you?

12. MaxPower72 thread starter macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I don't own it yet, I'm leaning toward buying it though. I found the "R" version on ebay and then searched on the internet and found out that it comes in Black: BDR-XD04BK and Pearl White BDR-XD04W
    these models have been released on the Japanese market last July.
    I think that the regular BDR-XD04 is just for the US market and that Pioneer is going to release the colored versions later on and that would explain the letters added at the end of the product name.
    They all have the same tech specs so it's not an updated model but to make things more complicated I've found a BDR-XD04T which should be for Windows
    computers.
    Anyhow, for the size, price and general good quality of Pioneer products I'm going to give it a shot.