External Blu Ray drive on Macbook Pro questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wolfpup, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I've been debating between basically a Macbook Pro, Sony AW, or Asus n80nv for ages...I had been leaning towards an AW until 1) Nvidia's new drivers don't support them, and 2) Nvidia's reference drivers work fine for everything...except Blu Ray playback. So...I guess that's basically out.

So I need to know, can anyone tell me about Blu Ray playback on the Macbook Pro with an external drive and Nvidia's newest drivers? I know people are playing Blu Rays on the MBP, but I don't know what drivers they're using (whether Nvidia's updated drivers work) or if it works okay to an external monitor, or that type of thing.

Anything anyone can share would probably be helpful as I'm confuzled :confused: :(

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use Toast to read and write Blu-ray data disks in OS X. You cannot play movies unless you rip them with AnyDVD HD in Windows and use Plex to watch them in OS X.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks-I guess I should specify I'd be doing this in Windows with probably the copy of PowerDVD included with most external drives.