External Blu Ray Drive - SuperDrive Style?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scb02, Feb 20, 2012.

1. scb02 macrumors regular

Just looking around at Blu Ray drivers and burners for my new work machine and came across this on eBay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Exter...ing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item256c9dc380

Obviously it looks exactly like the SuperDrive which i like but it doesn't give an manufacturers names or anything like that? The reader is £80 and the burner is £150 which is fairly priced to be fair. Just wondering if anyone has one of these or has seen or used one? Does look smart!

Thanks

2. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Message reply from the seller -

"Hi, the internal drive is manufacturerd by "Hitachi-LG Data Storage" model number "HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA10N "
    These are all brand new units and get tested before shipping"

Also comes with 12 month warranty?

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's fine and not a scam. It's just a regular slot-load BD drive in a plastic SuperDrive-looking case (like the one from Max Upgrades for $25). If you want a BD drive anyway, go for it. As you saw, the BD drive model is HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA10N.

4. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Will do some research on the case if they are available in the UK and the price etc, then same with the drive. Might be cheaper and easier to get them both separate!

5. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Don't know about the drive, but I bought a similar enclosure for my Macbook drive and it's a very bad one. Had to use it upside down if I want the DVD to be ejected.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

FWIW, I have one too. It's definitely quite cheaply made, but works fine for me (even right side up ;) )