External Blu Ray drive that WORKS? (For Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wolfpup, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm considering a handful of notebooks, one of them the higher end Macbook Pro config...

The GPU's the worst of anything I'm considering, but it's decent, and apparently AMD's normal drivers will install on it without hacks, so that's fine. Supposedly has HDCP too.

But anyway my main concern is the lack of Blu Ray...I'm just not going to do a computer in 2011 without Blu Ray. Wanted to know if anyone's found a solution that REALLY works well for an external drive-I'd install Windows 7 and PowerDVD or whatever on the software side, but need a drive that's reliable.

I'm very worried about external drives because I've tried THREE solutions so far on my current notebook, and none of them have worked. The first was I think a Lite-On USB Blu Ray drive...just intermittently wouldn't work, cut out multiple times an hour, where the computer just stopped being able to see it.

Next I tried a Sony internal drive in an external USB enclosure...the drive's fine, but the enclosure was just flaky, and got worse and worse over time until it basically would never read.

Next I tried a USB/eSATA enclosure...and after a few weeks it stopped working even on eSATA.

Note that I do NOT have any other issues ever with external Seagate drives which I use regularly, multiple iPods, all sorts of other USB devices, so I'm fairly sure this is the enclosure's being junk, not the computer.

So before I'd get a Macbook Pro I want to know there's something that is absolutely positively just as reliable as an internal drive, just bullet proof.

Any suggestions, or are these just flaky as a category? (Wish it was big companies doing the controller chips...get rid of this JMicro stuff and lets get some Intel or whatever!)

2. fred_garvin macrumors regular

I got an OWC external:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRF8BDSD12X/

This Pioneer BDR-206 is $20 more than the LG option, but I've always had good experiences with Pioneer drives.

Haven't had any problems, using FW 800 port. Sadly we're in transition as soon enough, everything will be USB 3/Thunderbolt.

No need for windows either. MakeMKV can read movies.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, but it's not legal right? I mean obviously it's ethical, and that's nuts, if you buy the movie/show and just want to watch the fracking thing on your computer, but...

I'd be super hesitant to buy a product that's technically illegal, even if it shouldn't be :(

Anyway thanks for the recommendation! Good to know there's hopefully a drive that won't give me issues. Not bad to have a use for the Firewire port either!