External Blu-Ray drive- will it work with a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucidPsychosis, Apr 17, 2010.

1. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Now, when it comes to video, graphics, and such, I'm a noob. I'm not too familiar with the science behind computers as related to video (although I am knowledgeable about computers in other areas), so if I'm asking a stupid question, just slap me and call me a noob.

Anyways, as the topic title suggests, will an external Blu-Ray drive let me watch Blu-Ray movies on a MBP?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't think you can watch movies on any Mac due to lack of support in OS X but there may be some 3rd party s/w that allows it.

You can burn movies and data to BD w/ Toast 8 or 9 Pro or Compressor in the current version of FCS. I think that is the limit of what you can do w/ BD on Macs since Steve hates BD.

3. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

Ah. Well, I feel foolish now. A little more background: I've only ever used PCs, and I'm getting my first Mac (15" MBP) some time in the next few weeks.

Would... would it be possible to watch Blu-Ray movies on Windows 7 using Bootcamp?

Once again, I'm terribly sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.

EDIT: You say you can't watch movies using OS X? Does that include standard DVDs?

4. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

you can watch/decrypt your blurays in bootcamp-win ... which is the easy way
    in osx VLC will play the stream fine from hdd, but I´m guessing that wasn´t the point

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It takes a couple of minutes to start the movie, but if you want to play Blu-ray discs on your Mac it's quite easy. Just buy an external Blu-ray drive, buy MakeMKV ($50) and insert the disc. Let MakeMKV grab the decryption keys off the disc, then start its streaming server and open the stream in a suitable app, such as the freeware VLC. See my sig for the details.

6. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers guys.

One more question: Is there any way to rip HD movies (say, from Blu-Ray discs) onto my HDD and watch them directly off of my HDD? Even if I have to downgrade them to a lower definition, that'll do. Is this possible at all in OS X?

I guess it would be good for me to learn how all of this mumbo jumbo works for myself before trying to dive into it. I've never ripped DVDs before, but I've always wanted to.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Get Plex, man! Get Plex.

The only thing you don't get is the HD audio (but that may be changing with audio over MDP). You're limited to the AC3 or DTS 5.1 cores on the Blu-ray disc. Rip with MakeMKV (US$50).

8. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

It certainly seems that you know what you're talking about, heh. I clicked on your link, impressive setup! I'll further look into it once I actually have my MBP :D

9. Ciel- macrumors newbie

Check out Slysoft's products (Windows)
    AnyDVD HD will be able to circumvent the BD DRM / etc. From there you might want to follow a guide to converting it into an MKV file, etc. Here's a guide you can follow.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

AnyDVD HD is great, but it's a lot more expensive than MakeMKV and cannot act as a streaming server. Plus there's the Windows thing. Right now, there are no compelling reasons to choose it over MakeMKV.

11. flyguyjake macrumors member

DTS-HD, TrueHD mini-display port to HDMI Griffen

Hi all,

I've got the 17" MBP i7-620M GeForce GT 330M w/8 GB (Mid 2010)

I'm attempting to bitstream Blu-ray HD Audio (DTS-HD & TrueHD) via the MDP-HDMI adapter in Win7 with Boot Camp 3.1. When I plug in the adapter and power on my Denon AVR, the Nvidia HDMI driver kicks in. After configuring the basics, it would appear that the Cirrus logic chip (CS4206a) is controlling the PAVP (Protected Audio Video Path) in Intel's on-board HD Audio. It doesn't seem that the Nvidia driver is able to recognize the PAVP. I modded the latest Nvidia driver 197.16 and successfully installed it along with the latest HD audio driver, however it doesn't make any difference.

Given the HM55 chipset along with the i7-620M with on-board HD Video & Audio the PAVP is incorporated which should allow bitstreamming.

Anyone know the specifics on the audio paths? It would be a shame if Apple hasn't utilized the PAVP properties.

Any ideas out there?