external blu-ray drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrkramer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since the format war is now basically over, I am thinking of looking into buying an external blu-ray drive. What I want to know is is there any software for either Leopard or Windows XP that will playback blu-ray movies, and also does anyone have recommendations for an external drive or an internal one with an enclosure. I just want to use it for playback, so I don't need one with a burner.

2. elmo151 Guest

don't think pc/mac blu-ray is available yet.

I have a sony blu-ray player hooked to my plasma tv.

go to c|net or one of the home theater sites for ratings of the available players.

players are getting better and better and will get less expensive now that the blu-ray hdv war is over. my local stereo guy advised me to get an inexpensive drive and think about an upgrade in a year or 2. that's what I did.

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I know that you can buy Blu-Ray drives, but AFAIK there is no playback software for the Mac yet.

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Related question -- in Apple's DVD Player, there are high def options. Then what are they for? Just for the rare home movies shot in HD and burned to a DVD?

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes, anything that is unencrypted will play. But all the studio movies are encrypted.

6. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Thanks for the replies I'll probably wait on it then until there is more software for playing the disks back.

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Good choice, the drives will be cheaper then too.