Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good portable external Blu-Ray/DVD re-writable drive? I've seen a couple online, but they didn't look very impressive. I prefer one with a thunderbolt connection.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good portable external Blu-Ray/DVD re-writable drive? I've seen a couple online, but they didn't look very impressive. I prefer one with a thunderbolt connection.

I got an LG one at Frys for $35. USB 2.0 portable powered.
Normally they're $99 but Frys does have them onsale. Burning blu-ray is gonna be slow regardless. No difference if it is USB 2.0 or native SATA. I have an internal one in my PC and another internal in another mac. They operate the same speed as the external USB 2.0

This is the one I have:

http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-CP40NG10

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Most of them are 6X drives with USB 2.0, but 12X USB 3.0 writers are available, obviously twice as fast but more expensive. Pick one, all of them work fine.

The 14X USB3.0 LG writer with brushed aluminum enclosure should be the best though, and it's explicitly known to work with both Lion and Mountain Lion.
415KPpWiwLL.jpg

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You're unlikely to find one with a Thunderbolt connection; Blu-Ray doesn't need that kind of speed & the interface is a lot more expensive. The exception would be if you get a Thunderbolt docking station like the Sonnet Echo 15 which can support an optical drive in addition to other features.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I have the LG writer posted above. It works very well for me.

It does, however, have an external power supply so it's not the most portable drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.