External Blu-Ray Player?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fanatic125, Jan 3, 2012.

1. fanatic125 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this question has been asked before but I did a search and could not find what I was looking for. I want to purchase an external blu-ray drive for my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I don't have a TV in my dorm room so a blu-ray player is out of the question. I don't need to burn blu-rays or anything like that, just play them. Are there any external blu-ray drives that work well for Mac/ Windows 7 in Boot Camp? My budget is somewhere around $150.

Thanks!

2. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Other World Computing sells external blu-ray drives that fall into your price range, HOWEVER, last I checked Macs cannot play blu-rays period, the drives are only useful for burning to them via Toast. So if you are planning to play them, be prepared to get some software too, as DVD player won't handle them. Perhaps you can use the drive to rip and convert the blu-ray into something playable, but I'm fairly certain you will not be able to plug and play BDs

3. fanatic125 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about this program? http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

Would it be easier to find something for Windows that will allow me to play BDs?

4. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You can watch blu-ray movies on mac. You need to buy this software:
    http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

I use it, works great. It requires an internet connection for the authorization every time you insert a blu-ray movie.

About the blu-ray drive, I bought the external case from OWC and the Plextor PX-LB950SA drive. I'm completely happy with that.

5. fanatic125 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Depends on what you want. The second one is the slim version. So if you want to carry it around that's the better choice.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Any USB BR player will work. I use one from LG. You can use makeMKV + VLC without ripping the disc to play the BRs in OSX.

8. burak434 macrumors newbie

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

They play perfectly fine.