External Blue-Ray drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrisjmacdonald, Mar 9, 2011.

1. chrisjmacdonald macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Apple will eventually adopt Blue-Ray technology?

I am in the process of converting my entire DVD library to my hard drives but I can't convert my BR disks.

Does anyone know what the best external drive is and whether it is both compatible for mac and PC?

Thanks,

Chris

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

There have been uncounted threads about this, and the feeling is that Apple will never adopt Blu-Ray disks. There are a number of reasons for it.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can use MakeMKV for Blu-ray ripping under OS X and then Handbrake for the optional transcoding. Plex, XBMC and VLC play Blu-ray rips without transcoding. I have an LG Blu-ray burner and a BYTECC 5.25" FW400/USB2 enclosure with SATA interface for the Blu-ray drive. It works fine.

5. dime21 macrumors 6502

Let me look into my crystal ball that sees the future and reads Steve Jobs' mind..... :rolleyes:

6. dime21 macrumors 6502

And what exactly do you want to "convert" your Blu Ray discs to?? Converting them to a lower resolution or lower quality compression defects the entire purpose of blue ray... might as well just stick with DVD.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No need for smart @$$ comments.

Compression of even the highest bit rate Blu-rays (e.g., the Borne series) to 1080p at 15 Mb/s has no perceptible loss of the video quality and can reduce file size 50% or more. While loss of True-HD or DTS-MA to AC3 Dolby Digital or DTS is significant to many, and that Macs cannot pass them to appropriate receivers anyway, the quality of transcoded Blu-ray rips is far superior to anything else currently available for Macs, including the "HD" crap that Apple distributes from its iTunes Store.