External Boot SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ThomRimmer, May 21, 2014.

1. ThomRimmer macrumors member

Hi,

I've looked around the forums for a while and there are a number of threads that are close to answering what I'm looking for but non give a definitive answer really. Hence opening a new one.

I'm looking to upgrade my late 2012 27" iMac to have an SSD drive. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube of changing the internal drive and if I'm totally honest I'm not all that confident about doing it myself and really don't want to go to the expense of getting somebody who knows how to do it.

I then discovered that a number of people are using SSD's externally as boot drives over both USB3 and TB. The TB enclosures seem really expensive and would come out similar to getting a pro to install internally for me. The USB3 option is more within my price range. (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/250g...oggle-nand-read-540mb-s-write-520mb-s-512mb-9)

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to whether I am going to see a decent enough performance increase in moving to an external SSD boot drive like this for just the OS and applications or is it not really worth it unless I install it internally? If so has anybody got an recommendations as to drives / kits at a similar price range to the above mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you are able to give

Thom

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

You'll only see a slight difference between an internal and external SSD over Thunderbolt, or USB-3.

One thing you also should consider is that TRIM is supported over Thunderbolt. It is not supported over USB-3. So, over time, the USB connected SSD may show some reduction in performance. This was my experience with a M500 Crucial 480Gb installed internally. Once I enabled TRIM, it quickly became as fast as when I installed it.

I use this an an external SSD Thunderbolt drive for testing Operating Systems on. The price is more than what you are probably looking for, based on your previous link.

The M500 Crucial installed internally uses cables bought from OWC.

3. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

It will be so much faster that you'll wish you had done it sooner! :D

Samsung EVO in a Thunderbolt or USB 3 external enclosure. Firmtech makes fast USB 3 enclosure, but I prefer TB.

4. ThomRimmer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your advice.

The kit I posted comes with a USB3 adapter I think so I shouldn't need to buy an extra enclosure for that one hopefully.

Even though I can get TRIM on Tb I think for my price point it's just not an option at the moment for me.

It's looking like the samsung evo drives are quote widely well reviewed so it's looking like I might go for one of those.

Thanks again

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I definitely agree with the advice of going with Thunderbolt for TRIM alone.

I am using a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD in the Delock 42490 enclosure which is currently available for $82.50. I also have the Inateck FEU3NS-1E UASP USB3 enclosure, but as mentioned, I stick with the Delock for TRIM.

I have been using it for two months now and can highly recommend it.

If you do decide to go USB3, I absolutely recommend getting an enclosure with UASP support. The abovementioned Inateck is only $18.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I just noticed that the OP may be in the UK in which case the Delock appears to be about twice as expensive on average for some reason. :(

Actually, that's not just for the UK but most places in Europe.

I wonder if it wouldn't still be cheaper to order from overseas even with the shipping charges and import taxes.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

VAT is bloody high in Europe, be it EU or non-EU countries :/

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks, well that answers that then and I guess it may partially explain why prices are so darned high from local retailers as well. :(

9. ThomRimmer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate the help and advice.

I've gone for the USB3 Samsung Evo kit I originally posted with a look to buying a TB enclosure with next months pay packet!

Now for the task of transferring my user settings and apps over to it when it arrives!

Thanks again
    Thom

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My advice will be different from the others'...

Don't waste your money on Thunderbolt.

USB3 will boot and run just as quickly -- essentially no discernable difference to you, the user.

Far less expensive, as well. There are two ways to go:
    FIRST WAY:
    A USB3 external enclosure like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...770967&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+2.5"+uasp
    Costs about $19. Snaps together in 45 seconds.

SECOND WAY:
    A USB3/SATA docking station, like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...770967&sr=8-3&keywords=inateck+usb3+2.5"+uasp
    Costs about $32, but you now have the ability to easy "swap drives around" if required.

The only disadvantage of USB3 vs. Thunderbolt is that you can't enable TRIM support over USB3.

HOWEVER -- I've been booting and running my late-2012 Mac Mini exclusively from an extenral USB3/SATA dock for the last 16 months, NO problems, still runs like new.

I would suggest you try the USB3 connection method first.
    If for some reason you find that inadequate, THEN buy a thunderbolt enclosure for your external booter, and just keep the USB3 enclosure/dock for other things.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Your advice is actually remarkably similar. :rolleyes:

I'd hardly call it a waste. But if he doesn't have the money then the Inateck enclosure which I already recommended above would be a very attractive and affordable alternative. :p

That's a big disadvantage. Another is that you won't be able to run firmware updates on the SSD and almost certainly won't be able to boot to Windows on the SSD if you are a BootCamp user.