Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justabrake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a external CD drive that I used on my 13" macbook air 2017 but it's not working on my macbook pro 2020 16"
is there a problem ?

if so where can I get another external cd drive for it

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have a external CD drive that I used on my 13" macbook air 2017 but it's not working on my macbook pro 2020 16"
is there a problem ?"

It would help if you told us WHICH drive you have.
Show us a pic if necessary.

Having said that...
Is this a small USB DVD/CD drive?
Some (not ALL, but some) external USB drives need a USB "y-cable" to work.
This is because not all Mac USB ports provide enough power to run an external DVD/CD drive from only one port. Did your drive come with one of these cables?

The single end of the Y cable goes to the drive.
The double-end goes into TWO USB ports.
Now there will be enough USB bus power.

I'm not saying that's what's wrong with yours... but it happens now and then.

Having said THAT...
Might be time for a new DVD/CD drive.
DON'T buy the Apple drive -- too expensive.
Get a 3rd party drive, like a Pioneer or LG.
Many are available at low prices.
Small-form-factor is good...

justabrake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a USB-C 3.1 Male to USB A Female Adapter
IMG_0250.jpeg
IMG_0252.jpeg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the pics
Looks like it needs 5v, 2.0 amps.

I looked at my own Samsung SE-506 BD/DVD/CD burner, and the manual states that it needs USB port current 1.4a or higher.

I'm wondering if the "2.0" amp requirement is just too much for a single USB port on the 2016 MBP?

Also... I'm wondering how the USBa/USBc adapter handles or "passes through" bus power? Perhaps that could be "getting into the mix". Could it prevent USB power from getting to the drive?

Does your drive have a "hard wired" USB cable (can't be unplugged from the back)? Or is it removable?
If it's removable, I'd try replacing it with a USBa (drive end) to USBc (Mac end) cable. That would eliminate the adapter.

Does the back of CD drive have a small input for an external power supply?
I realize it's "one more thing to carry around", but it may provide enough power to run the drive so that the Mac's USB port isn't overloaded.

Another thought:
Get a POWERED USB hub (one that comes with its own power supply), and connect that to the Mac, and then connect the drive to it.

When all is said and done, it MIGHT be "easiest and cheapest" just to buy another DVD/CD USB drive.
BUT... CHECK CAREFULLY before you buy, to be sure that the power requirements are "less than" this one...

justabrake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for the pics
Looks like it needs 5v, 2.0 amps.

I looked at my own Samsung SE-506 BD/DVD/CD burner, and the manual states that it needs USB port current 1.4a or higher.

I'm wondering if the "2.0" amp requirement is just too much for a single USB port on the 2016 MBP?

Also... I'm wondering how the USBa/USBc adapter handles or "passes through" bus power? Perhaps that could be "getting into the mix". Could it prevent USB power from getting to the drive?

Does your drive have a "hard wired" USB cable (can't be unplugged from the back)? Or is it removable?
If it's removable, I'd try replacing it with a USBa (drive end) to USBc (Mac end) cable. That would eliminate the adapter.

Does the back of CD drive have a small input for an external power supply?
I realize it's "one more thing to carry around", but it may provide enough power to run the drive so that the Mac's USB port isn't overloaded.

Another thought:
Get a POWERED USB hub (one that comes with its own power supply), and connect that to the Mac, and then connect the drive to it.

When all is said and done, it MIGHT be "easiest and cheapest" just to buy another DVD/CD USB drive.
BUT... CHECK CAREFULLY before you buy, to be sure that the power requirements are "less than" this one...

Mine is hard wired it's a 10.00 drive i'll go to micro center and pick up one there I chatted with them yesterday and they said they have a compatible one i'm not going to use it much like I did before I just wanted to make one copy of a song probably won't use it after that

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"i'm not going to use it much like I did before I just wanted to make one copy of a song probably won't use it after that"

There might be others ways to do this.
Where and in what format is the song now?

justabrake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
"i'm not going to use it much like I did before I just wanted to make one copy of a song probably won't use it after that"

There might be others ways to do this.
Where and in what format is the song now?

CD

justabrake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I see what your saying a cd burner is almost just as expensive as the blue Ray ones for the macbook

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
How about a powered USB hub or docking station? More money, but if one can use the ports (ethernet, HDMI, etc) it could be a good solution. Something like this should provide adequate USB A power. If one has no ongoing need or use for more ports...fairly pricey.

Reactions: justabrake

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you connect the cd player to another Mac and copy the song from there?

Another alternative:
- see if it's posted on youtube
- if it is, use "Clipgrab" to grab the clip
- then, convert it into an mp3 file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.