External CD-drive not recognised

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by paieye, Mar 31, 2018.

1. paieye macrumors regular

I installed El Capitan some time ago, and today for the 1st time since then decided to use my external CD-drive. The latter worked perfectly with previous versions of OSX, but EC does not recognise it. I have tried to find and mount the drive in Disk Utility, but without success.

In one of the discussion-groups, I have seen this suggested as a swift cure for the malady:

1. Launch Terminal.
    2. Type: sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"
    3. Enter Administrator-password, press Return.
    4. Reboot.

Is that a safe course of action ?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You probably already did this, but...

... did you go to the finder, open finder preferences, click the "general" pane, and then put a check in "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" ??

Also:
    What brand of CD/DVD is it?
    Apple internal?
    Apple external?
    3rd party?

3. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for coming to my aid. Yes, I have ensured that "CDs, DVDx and iPods" is checked. The external CD-drive is an Apple product, and has worked perfectly with all previous versions of OSX.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "The external CD-drive is an Apple product, and has worked perfectly with all previous versions of OSX."

The external Apple SuperDrive can be flaky. I prefer 3rd-party optical drives instead.

Do you by any chance have a 3rd-party USB DVD/CD drive that you could try?
    I'll bet the problems vanish as soon as you plug it in...

5. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2018 ---
    I have always found this particular external drive reliable, and I have just now tried the suggested formula, and the drive is again working perfectly. So all is well, and thank you again.