External DAS required

geoffpalmeruk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Exeter, Devon
Hi everyone,

I'm on the hunt for an external DAS enclosure to house my 2x 3.5 inch 2TB HDDs. I will be connecting this to my G4 Mac Mini running OSX leopard Server.

Ideally i would like a dual enclosure but could run 2 single enclosures. Again FW400 would be nice (so i can daisychain them) but will be happy with USB 2.0 as it'll be cheaper.

I don't want to spend lots of money (ideally under £50) however may be encouraged up to say £80 for the right device.

My mac mini is being used for media storage and to stream to my apple TV3.

I also connect via screen sharing and file sharing to backup things like my itunes library and aperture library from my MBP.

I have all the software i need and will be using the drives as JBOD so no RAID support is required.

Any recommendations?

geoffpalmeruk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Exeter, Devon
Here is the cheapest i can find. I have not tried this one but i have used CIT enclosures without issue.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-inch-Du...387200985&sr=8-1&keywords=Enclosure+sata+dual

Plenty more here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...a+dual&ie=UTF8&qid=1387201140&rnid=1642204031
Interesting you have used CIT, I bought that exact one and it seems to run fine for about 2 days then no power lights / no power, Fuse checked, leads and socket checked, no change, Left it unplugged for a week, was about to return it so checked one last time and it worked again fine for about 2 days. I will add this enclosure will be running 24/7. have you had any similar issues?

costabunny

macrumors demi-goddess
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Interesting you have used CIT, I bought that exact one and it seems to run fine for about 2 days then no power lights / no power, Fuse checked, leads and socket checked, no change, Left it unplugged for a week, was about to return it so checked one last time and it worked again fine for about 2 days. I will add this enclosure will be running 24/7. have you had any similar issues?
I have two (single drive units) and one is a 24/7 Time Machine (with a 3TB Seagate 7200 in) and have yet to see a fault with it (about 3months op so far).

The other is an as and when drive and gets moved about a lot. So far, again no issues to report. I guess with any mass produced and cheap device there is a higher likely hood of DOA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.