external disk apple 40SC

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Enric, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Enric macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to make en external disk apple 40sc working with a SE/30. the external disk starts spinning when I power on the mac but once booted, the external disk is not mounted on the desktop.

Is there something particular to do like installing a driver ?

The disk is (seem) properly connected and a scsi terminator is plugged in the remaining free scsi connector. Also, the activity led lights up during the boot time.

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

You have set a SCSI address for the external NOT equal to 000? That's the address of the internal disc, which will be on the same SCSI bus.

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Also - does the drive show up with any of the SCSI tools/accessories that comes with the OS? It might not be formatted or partitioned in a way that the SE recognizes.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Driver? On a Mac? for an Apple device? This is a classic Mac, which are truly plug-n-play. There's a few exceptions to that, from third-party device, but not with an Apple-brand device.
    With SCSI, you DO need to make sure about jumpers, termination, and device numbers.
    What is the device# setting on the back of the 40SC?
    All SCSI devices require different device numbers, and are usually manually set
    Your internal hard drive will always be device 0, so an external SCSI device must be something different. If that is your only external SCSI device, then device 1 or 2 (or try 5 or 6) should work. If you do change the device number (changing to anything else is something to try), then be sure to reboot the Mac, too.
    If the external is stubborn, you could try the Disk Setup app, or you might have the app called SCSI Probe, which should let you view any SCSI device, and mount it, if possible.
    Or, it could be a 25-year-old drive which just doesn't work.

5. Enric thread starter macrumors newbie

this seems indeed related to jumpers settings. I opened the disk case to check the jumper settings and ... there is no jumper at all. A cable that should connect the jumper plug with an ID selector at the rear of the box is missing and the activity led connector do not exactly fit the jumper plug.

The installed disk is a Seagate ST19171N (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/29030c.pdf). So I will try setting the two jumper connectors correctly (p. 36) (I have to find two tiny jumpers for the default J2 connector setting).

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Makes good sense, too.
    If the case selector switch is not connected, and the drive has no jumpers, it would be set for drive 0, which is the same as the internal. No wonder when it wouldn't mount.

7. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Not always. :)

There are some varieties of drives that no jumper means "1". Odd, yes. But it's true.

Without knowing what brand of drive it is, I never say it's zero, with no jumpers.

Some IBM and Rodime drives come to mind.

At this point it's not unlikely that the drive inside that 40SC is still the Quantum it would have come with.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

9. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Like I said .. "not unlikely" .. Totally missed that post. ;-)