External disk Lacie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suprnowa, Jan 10, 2011.

1. suprnowa macrumors newbie

Welcome
    I wear with the intention of buying an external drive.
    The most to my liking:
    LaCie WiFi N Wireless USB2 Space, 1TB 10/100/1000
    and
    LaCie 1 TB LaCinema Classic HD 301864EK
    My requirements:
    1.Must have a WiFi-ie LaCinema have to buy a WiFi module
    2.Will used to store backup Time Machine.
    3.Must DLNA support for the Samsung TV and PS3.
    4.To be visible on the network shared directory(Mac,PC)
    5.Design is of the essence-wife forced, will stand under the TV.
    Most suits me the first option, and from what I read could expand further on WiFi as TC, which attaches to it and then sends a signal, or creates a new WiFi network.
    HERE I'm not sure, but now movies are protected Cinavia PS3, and I do not know whether this video from the disc allowing access via DLNA NAS whether it worked or that the collateral could easily watch a movie.
    As for the collateral is when trying to play the movie on the PS3 with a USB crashes after a few minutes Cinavia message that the copy is not original, and turns off the sound in the film-I mean the divx movies.
    The second option is so attractive that restores all files, no HDMI, but I only have three:
    Firstly, I have the PS3 as a player in the second room using DLNA I could watch movies on the TV using the first option.
    Second perhaps only LaCinema joins the existing network, but it does not extend, and can not create a new WiFi-here I'm not sure, I guess that if slowed backup to a network and not through the DLNA work.Shared movie I do not know or does it also not occurred to clog the network.
    Thirdly, I do not know if will work with Time Machine.
    I would add that currently have the 3G Router AirLive 11n and use it to use the Internet to play online and publish the new hardware WiFi.I would like to join the existing network to WiFi, and either created a new WiFi network, or expanded existing, even after the WiFi-add that the 3G Router AirLive 11n is on another floor, but the range is the whole house.
    A little note on this,sory of my english :)

2. harddriveowner macrumors member

Stay away from LaCie. I have had 5 of their external hard drives die, all withinin a year or 2 of purchase. I am trying to figure out a sculpture to make with the drives. They were all large drives either 1 or 2 TB.
    None were cheap.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

And I'll tell you go for the Lacie, in my experience they've been the most reliable.

The same is going to be true of any major brand. Some people are going to have had horrible experiences with failures, others are going to have had wonderful experiences. One thing I'll say about Lacie, they stand behind their products. If they do fail, which is of course going to happen some of the time, they will fix or replace them quickly and without fail.

jW

4. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

I've had mixed luck with LaCie drives. I've used them for backups with clients and never had a problem.

I've also had 3 of the 500GB drives with firewire 400/800/USB fail when used as backups in Time Machine. All were under warranty - none were replaced in spite of several discussions with LaCie's tech support. Contrary to Mal's good experiences I was told by LaCie - tough luck, "sometimes drives fail".

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

LaCie don't make hide drives, they just put them in branded enclosures, so blame/thank the manufacturer whose drives happened to be cheapest that week.

6. Miker2k macrumors regular

Not to pile on but my Lacie has had horrible issues all surrounding the power supply. I won't buy another.

On the other hand my seagate has been solid.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

8. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I have owned 3 Lacie external drives and 2 out of the 3 failed within a couple of years. I found that it wasn't the drive in them but the power supply in the case itself. The 1TB drive died and I didn' even use it but for a few backups and was not even plugged up until I tried another backup one day. I would not buy or recommend them to anyone.

9. suprnowa thread starter macrumors newbie

So what do you recommend NAS drive to have WiFi and handle Time Machine, DLNA and UPNP.
    Capacity within the 1TB.
    I would add that the appearance is quite important.
    Nice if he could retrieve the Internet with existing WiFi network and expand it to either continue or create a new WiFi network.

10. gorjan, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

gorjan macrumors 6502

From my experience I avoid LaCie like the plague.

I have a Western Digital MyBook World. It's not WiFi but "gigabit" ethernet (though it doesn't reach gbps speeds), and it has built in Time Machine support, DLNA and UPNP.

Edit: it also has a USB-port for additional storage and it runs linux so you can get it to run transmission and other servers if you like.

11. Norkusa macrumors member

Norkusa

I have two of the 'Neil Poulton' LaCie hdd's (1TB & 2TB) and they've both been great for the past 2 years I've had them. Had one of the older LaCie Porche drives before those and that one never game me problems either.

I'll keep buying them as long as they keep working.

12. suprnowa thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right all the time and I think more and more I am convinced the Lacie.
    The warranty is and it is most important.
    I can not just decide between the two models:
    LaCinema Classic HD (plus it plays everything) and LaCie Wireless Space
    If I plugged it into the router, OvisLink AirLive 3G 802.11n with a LAN cable is DLNA I will work on the TV being on the same WiFi network as well as whether Time Machine will be able to save a copy of the Lacie HD Classic.
    Does the Router OvisLink AirLive 3G 802.11n enough to films made by DLNA will not jams while watching on TV, and when Time Machine will perform a copy and send them after the ClassicHD WiFI will not be clogged and the Internet will function normally?......

13. vnle macrumors 6502

I recently got the LaCinema Classic HD (the beginning of December). It has been working great up till about a week ago - the audio stutters quite frequently on every movie file I have. :confused: However, until a week ago - the LaCinema played everything perfectly (.mkv .m2ts .avi .mp4 are the ones I've tried) along with different languages and subtitles (a little tricky to change at first) and it's very easy to set up. The GUI is quite nice as well, the remote sucks though. The rewinding and forwarding is somewhat ... "stuck" i.e. you let it forward and you tell it to stop but it'll keep forwarding forcing you to press the button many many times. :mad: Same thing for pausing and playing. If it wasn't for the audio stuttering, I would highly recommend this product :rolleyes: But alas, I can't right now. I'm going to request a replacement by Amazon and see if it works out. The only reason why I'm not going to another media player is because there isn't any other that fulfills my requirements quite as much as the LaCinema :mad:

14. Slickgonzalez macrumors newbie

Seriously? After a dozen people have told you that LAcie's are unreliable???

I'm yet another person who avoids Lacie at all costs. I have had 4 of the 2TB drives over the years, as well as some others, and EVERY single one has had major issues. Again, they were all power supply issues, but nevertheless, it is a terrible inconvenience when you have 4 drives and only one working power supply.

15. dbales macrumors regular

I own five Lacies and one of the power supplies went kaput. Not a big deal as I only hook up one drive at a time.

16. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I have a 2 year old 250 GB LaCie and it works splendidly. I have heard that the larger drives in general have higher failure rates, but I am not sure whether that is only for LaCie or across the board

17. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

G-Drive?

What about G-drive? I want to get a 1TB G-Drive Q. are they good?