External disk on AE as extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dwman, Feb 24, 2016.

1. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

So I just recently purchased a second Airport Extreme as an extender to my current one which is located in my basement. I have an external disk plugged into the main AE, but want to plug in another disk into the AE that's extending my network so my wife can back her MBP wirelessly with Time Machine.
    The issue is that the second AE is not even showing up in Finder and it's not recognizing the external drive that's plugged into it. I can see my main AE router and hard disk just fine in Finder.

So can the second AE be used to to backup my wife's mac with another external disk or does that feature only work with the main AE?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You should be able to connect it to the second AirPort Extreme. Verify that the drive works properly when connected to the main AirPort Extreme. It may be in your best interest to plug it into the main Extreme and use a powered USB hub.

3. dwman thread starter macrumors 6502

dwman

This is my fear. The drive plugged into the main AE is powered, my wife's is not. Hard to believe the AE would not have enough power to support a USB hard drive.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Personally, I would get a powered USB hub and plug both drives into there.

5. dwman thread starter macrumors 6502

dwman

I just tested it out on my main AE and it didn't work so the problem was clearly the fact that it's not powered. Definetly getting a powered USB hub now. Thanks.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Verify that the drive is indeed working when connected to a computer directly as well as the fact that it does not have a supplemental power port.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68030

I simply use a 3.5" drive. That needs external power supply anyway and doesn't care about powered USB. Size and performance per $ also exceeds those of 2.5" drives.
    My AE+drive combo is indeed connected to UPS as well.

8. dwman thread starter macrumors 6502

dwman

May be a problem with my AE then. I purchased a powered USB supply, hooked it up to my AE "extender" and still nothing. Doesn't even recognize it in Finder. The drive works fine when plugged in to the computer and is recognized. But when I plug it in to the AE, nada....light comes on but the second AE is not even recognized in Finder. *sigh* may need to take a trip to the Apple store. I just don't believe it's this hard to do something so easy, unless I'm really doing something wrong.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Make sure your drive is in proper format!
    AE will only recognise HFS+ or FAT16/32 drive.
    AirPort base stations: About USB disks
    I use HFS+ with GUID partition table (ie Mac standard, no Win or Unix flavours).

10. dwman thread starter macrumors 6502

dwman

Didn't realize a different format was potentially needed connecting directly to a Mac vs AE. It's a Passpport for Mac, so I think it came pre-formatted. Always worked fine when backing up directly from her Mac so I think that could be the issue. Will check when I get home tonight. Thanks.

11. dwman thread starter macrumors 6502

dwman

So I think I think I figured out the problem which is the disk was encrypted. I turned off the encryption, but I guess the disk is still formatted as such. Do I have to reformat the drive without encryption in order for it to be recognized on the AE?

12. priitv8 macrumors 68030

I would. And while at that, I would also re-partition it. On a Mac computer.
    Single GUID partition + HFS+ Journaled filesystem.
    That also will make sure all OEM software, that drive manufacturer "forgot" on the drive, gets cleaned out.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes.