external display/busted keyboard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carryonplease, Oct 26, 2011.

1. carryonplease macrumors member

I'm basically at my wit's end. I've done all i can do aside from replacing my logic board and top case.

I'm trying to connect my MBP to an external display. I have a miniDP to VGA adapter, and an external keyboard. In the process of replacement my keyboard which failed because the cable doesnt even fit in the connector(damn you ebay) I broke off the bracket which crimps the data display cable into its connector, so when I boot now I not only don't have a keyboard but I only have a white screen.

An external keyboard and monitor later I'm still having no luck getting my MBP to display on the external screen even with everything plugged in including the power adapter before boot.

am i missing something or am I destined to replace this logic board and top case?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

So... you broke the LVDS cable? if you have no video, just leave it unplugged entirely. Wrap it in kapton tape so it doesn't short anything out. With it disconnected, video should default to the external display, assuming of course the adapter and screen are good.

3. carryonplease thread starter macrumors member

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's possibly the right part. It can't be ordered from Apple, so you will have a really hard time finding it. Even the site you listed doesn't have it in stock.

It's a real pain to replace, and the bracket isn't necessary. It holds the cable in place. You can tape the existing one down with kapton tape, and it'll probably be fine.

At the moment, you have no internal or external video. You need to verify that your logic board still works before you start throwing parts and labor at this machine. Do what you can to get external video working first. Otherwise, your logic board is dead.